Re: MD Primary Reality

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 13:18:12 BST

    Arlo:

    > In sum, Platt is correct to advance the free market as "more moral", and
    > that the MOQ supports the "freedom of the marketplace". It's just that the
    > MOQ is concerned with more than the freedom to "earn money". However, just
    > like they've done with Christian theology, all that "other stuff" is
    > ignored, and the philosophy is used only when it allows them to restrict
    > the non-marketplace actions of others, and focus soley on the definition of
    > "freedom" as what occurs in the marketplace.

    Hmmm. I got the impression that you were generally in favor of the Ten
    Commandments as a moral basis for restricting "the non-marketplace actions
    of others." Am I mistaken?

    As for conservatives focusing solely on freedom of the marketplace, you
    probably forgot my post of May 2 entitled "Pirsig and Politics" in which I
    listed such things as freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly, of
    travel, etc. which both the MOQ and conservatives strongly support. In
    fact, conservatives, who view liberty as limitations on government,
    initiated these freedoms that the MOQ finds absolutely necessary to
    assure that the intellectual level continues to flourish. So conservatives
    agree with your view that the MOQ "embraces a view of freedom that
    transcends simply marketplace transactions," although a free market is
    included in the list of freedoms conservatives and the MOQ advocate.

    Platt