MD A Man of Values

From: Ant McWatt (antmcwatt@hotmail.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 15:40:28 BST

    Great quote, Platt.

    Well, let’s hope people will still be able to go fishing in beautiful,
    peaceful, woods in a 1000 years time. This is why I think something needs
    to be done now about reducing world population and protecting the natural
    environment (and especially the Amazon Forest!).

    Best wishes,

    Anthony

    >From: "Platt Holden" <pholden@sc.rr.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org, owner-moq_discuss@venus.co.uk
    >Subject: MD A Man of Values
    >Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:33:12 -0400
    >
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I ran across an old clipping today that I thought you might enjoy.
    >
    >In answering a journalist's question "Why do you go fishing every day?,
    >the author reveals a set of unique, yet in many ways, universal values.
    >
    >"I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are
    >found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds
    >of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the
    >television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I
    >thus escape. Because in a world where most men spend their lives doing
    >what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an
    >act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be
    >bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and
    >humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going along
    >this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip.
    >Because mercifully there are no telephones in trout waters. Because only
    >in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness. Because bourbon out
    >of an old tin cup always tastes better out there. Because maybe one day I
    >will catch a mermaid. And finally, not because I regard fishing as being
    >so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other
    >concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.
    >
    >--- Judge John Voelker, Michigan Supreme Court, author of "Anatomy of a
    >Murder."

    .

    It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
    http://messenger.msn.co.uk