RE: MD Access to Quality

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 10:54:09 BST

    Hi David(MB),

    On 15 May 2005 at 20:13, David Buchanan wrote:

    msh continued:
    My personal and pragmatic interpretation of the MOQ relies on a pair
    of what I claim to be two empirically verifiable statements:
    "Evolution occurs" and "Some things serve evolution better than
    others." From these, I can derive the moral hierarchy, and that's
    all I need. As I've said many times, I DON'T think that Quality is
    literally the source of subjects and objects, and don't even
    understand what that would mean.

    dmb said:
    I was in that same place. Its good enough for all practical purposes. Its
    the static side of things, the side of conventional realities, but I also
    have to insist that there is more to the MOQ. Ask Paul Turner about Quality
    as the source of subjects and objects. He explained it to me. Ask Ant. He
    wrote the book. I don't expect you to take my word for it, but I think
    philosophical mysticism is well worth discovering and exploring.

    msh now says:
    I appreciate your patience. You might be glad to know that I'm not
    as mystically null and void as I sometimes sound in my posts. Art is
    often an expression of the mystical one beneath the many, no? I've
    written and played music all my life; I've written a thousand poems,
    many of them published, back in the day when I bothered to send them
    out; I've penned a hundred short stories. And I think my idea of the
    fully-realized human is not much different from the Buddhist's idea
    of an enlightened man. The FRH emphasizes action over meditation,
    that's all, and the reason is simple: people who are dead can't
    meditate, and there are forces at work in the world bent on making a
    lot of people dead.

    I also understand and appreciate that, as you say, "one of the
    features of this view [philosophical mysticism] is that lots of
    people have "seen" what Phaedrus and Lao Tzu saw, that a version of
    this "truth" exists in every culture and is and the heart of all the
    world's great religious. Its really quite magnificent, the way it
    flowers everywhere and yet is always hidden." I'm just not yet
    convinced that the steps taken to achieve this understanding can be
    codified, as is believed by adherents of the world's "great"
    religions.

    msh said before:
    It was only AFTER Pirsig had arrived at his notion of Quality that
    he picked up Tao Te Ching and was blown away by the perfect
    comparison. He and Lao Tzu had arrived at the same place via
    different routes. So, a person can believe in the Dao without having
    read Lao Tzu, just as a person can believe in Quality without having
    read Pirsig.

    dmb:
    In other words, philosophical mysticism really embraces the idea of multiple
    truths. It doesn't say this or that revelation or depiction is the only
    correct one, but instead looks at them like works of art. And one of the
    advantages of this pluralistic perspective is that is decreases one's desire
    to nuke the other guy.

    msh says:
    There you go. But we gotta work to keep people alive so they can
    embrace philosophical mysticism and gain that valuable pluralistic
    perspective. This is what will allow us to continue to evolve.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more
    certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not
    lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith,
    but through striving after rational knowledge."

    -Albert Einstein