Re: MD Access to Quality

From: hampday@earthlink.net
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 08:28:13 BST

    Platt --

    While researching suitable subjects for next week's Values Page, I ran
    across a well-written article from the late '90s by a young French-Canadian
    journalist. (You can review the complete article at
    http://www.quebecoislibre.org/DIR010416.htm ).

    What he has to say about Emile Durkheim seemed so relevant to our discussion
    of collectivism in the MoQ that I decided to quote part of it as a
    postscript to my last note.

    Durkheim (1858-1917) is not well-known in the English-speaking world, but he
    is a very big name in the French intellectual tradition, and no
    self-respecting mainstream intellectual in the francophone world can ignore
    him. His books on religion and suicide are still considered classics in
    these fields.

    His main contribution to contemporary thought, however, in line with his
    predecessor Auguste Comte and many other French thinkers since, was to give
    some semblance of scientific credibility to another collectivist approach in
    the study of human beings. As Prowse writes: "Durkheim's great books are
    dedicated to the proposition that society transcends the individual: that
    our beliefs, values, dispositions and desires are often products of social
    forces and structures we poorly understand."

    Durkheim taught that society exists "outside" and "apart" from the
    individuals who form it. Society is a "thing" in itself, and should be
    studied as such. For example, all the beliefs, attitudes, imagery, etc.,
    that make up culture and morality exist not only in the minds of
    individuals, but as a "collective conscience" independent of them, just like
    our mind is more than the physiological substrate on which it depends.

    Society is thus an emergent entity. From Durkheim's perspective, morality
    and culture, the collective phenomena par excellence, exist autonomously in
    our social surrounding; they are imposed upon us, and individuals do not
    have any discernable impact on them. What's important is to study the
    collective phenomenon itself, and how each individual is well-adapted to it
    or not (which would make him dysfunctional in society).

    It is no surprise to find that Durkheim considered the theory of value to be
    "the most fundamental of all economic theories," and was sharply
    contemptuous of the subjective reformulation which had revolutionized
    economics after 1871 (Kenneth H. Mackintosh, Journal of Libertarian Studies,
    14:1). Durkheim's viewpoint is the exact antithesis of Austrian subjectivism
    and methodological individualism.

    Here is how Durkheim explains it:
    "If we can say that in some sense collective representations exist outside
    of individual consciences, it is because they derive not from individuals
    taken one by one, but from their interaction, which is very different. No
    doubt each one brings his own share in the elaboration of the common result;
    but private sentiments become social only in combining under the pressure of
    sui generis forces that this association develops. Following these
    combinations and the mutual alterations that result from them, they become
    something else. A chemical synthesis occurs which concentrates and unites
    the synthesized elements and, by this very process, transforms them. Since
    this synthesis is the work of the whole, its stage will also be the whole.
    The resultant that comes out of it thus extends beyond each individual
    spirit, just like the whole extends beyond the part. ... It's in this sense
    that it is outside particular individuals. ... To really understand what it
    is, we have to take into consideration the aggregate in its totality. It is
    it that thinks, feels and wants, although it can only do this through
    particular consciences. That is also how we can see that the phenomenon of
    society is not dependent on the personal nature of individuals."

    [Sociologie et Philosophie, Presses Universitaires de France, 1963, p.
    35-36; translation by Martin Masse]

    Am I totally off base here, or do you agree that Durkheim's collectivist
    view bears some resemblance to the MoQ -- especially to Pirsig's
    metaphorical Giant?

    Essentially yours,
    Ham