Re: DMB and Me (or, a Typology of the MD), Part III (B)

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 19:28:09 BST

    Hey Mark,

    Mark said:
    So our discussion, if you want to pursue it, will have to start with us
    clarifying our different metaphysical assumptions. I believe mine have been
    made pretty clear: evolution is better than stasis, we humans are evolving
    toward becoming FRH, some things serve evolution better than others, etc.
    But, of course, I will try to answer any questions you have about them. Once
    I understand your assumptions, our argument can be about which of our two
    metaphysics best reflects the reality of the world we share in common.

    Matt:
    The beginning of this discussion will have to start much more generally than
    that because, with your description of your “metaphysical assumptions,”
    that’s not (quite) where our disagreement lies.

    The first place to begin for me is the very idea of a “metaphysical
    assumption.” There are two ways we can take this to mean. We can take
    “metaphysics” to mean something like “a description of the way the world
    really is” or we can take it to mean “a description of how the way the world
    generally hangs together.” The former is a version of the Platonism and
    Enlightenment philosophy I was going on about. That I don’t like. The
    latter is a version that is (more often than not) harmless, but I would be
    more inclined to call it “philosophy” rather than “metaphysics.” So, by
    “metaphysical assumptions,” which do you mean?

    Matt