Re: DMB and Me (or, a Typology of the MD), Part III (B)

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 06:09:12 BST

    Matt, Mark,

    I've not been following the whole of this interpersonal thread, but
    when Matt says

    "The reason I'd make a distinction between metaphysics and philosophy is
    because I view metaphysics as an untenable dream, a dream we should give up.

    I don't think its that no one _now_ has any clue about the way the world
    really is. I don't think its _possible_ for anyone to know the way the
    world really is because there would be no way of determining whether it were
    really true. There are no criteria we could agree on for such a
    determination and we have no idea what those criteria would even look like
    if we'd found them."

    This is exactly my pragmatic reasoning too.
    Ian