Re: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 05:21:10 BST

    Dear Platt,

    Thanks for your Pirsig quote:
    Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:30 PM
    > "Value goes behind consciousness. It exists where there is no intellectual
    > consciousness, and analysis of it" (referring to intellectual
    > consciousness) "shows that it essentially involves the subject-object
    > relationship. In primitive consciousness subject and object are virtually
    > or confusedly present. In the pre-intellectual consciousness of an infant
    > value is present and there are no subjects and objects " (parens added)

    I read this as follows:
    Intellectual consciousness NOW essentially involves the subject-object
    relationship. In primitive INTELLECTUAL consciousness subject and object are
    virtually or confusedly present.

    You may remember that I suggested before that the intellectual level
    comprises at least two alternative types of (intellectual) consciousness:
    subject-subject thinking (primitive consciousness) and subject-object
    thinking (modern consciousness). To be added (we hope) of course: Quality
    consciousness... Another elements of the intellectual level may be spiritual
    and/or aesthetic consciousness.

    Bo is of course right that subject-object thinking is the largest and most
    relevant part of the intellectual level, but I don't think that it is right
    to define the intellectual level as subject-object level (SOL).

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim