Re: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 15:51:55 BST

    Platt, Wim, Ham, et al,

    Before one can evaluate Bo's SOL, a fundamental logical error in the MOQ
    needs to be addressed. That error is to ignore two different meanings of the
    word pair: subject and object. One meaning is to equate 'subject' with
    'mind' and 'object' with 'matter', which I'll call subject[1]/object[1]. The
    other meaning (which I'll call subject[2]/object[2]), covers the X and Y
    respectively in sentences like "X is aware of Y" or "X thinks about "Y", or
    "X values Y". The MOQ dissolves the opposition between subject[1] and
    object[1] by calling each different levels of static patterns of value. This
    makes a certain amount of sense, but does nothing to dissolve the opposition
    between subject[2] and object[2]. This latter opposition is simply ignored
    by the MOQ, which makes the MOQ inadequate as a metaphysics. I've raised
    this issue several times, but no MOQ defender has dealt with it.

    The reason it needs to be dealt with is that Bo's SOL is talking about
    subject[2]/object[2], not subject[1]/object[1]. This can be seen easily
    enough when the object of thought is another thought. Bo is essentially
    correct when he says of human intellect that its value is in the S/O divide,
    when that is taken to mean the S[2]/O[2] divide. (I disagree with him in
    that I don't think this value in the divide only occurs in human
    intellect -- I would say that all value occurs in an
    Intellectual/Quality/Consciousness divide, also known as contradictory
    identity -- but that is a separate discussion). So the fourth level consists
    of this divide occurring in physical beings, known as humans. For a an
    extensive discussion of the value of the S[2]/O[2] divide, see Barfield's
    "Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry".

    Pirsig responded (in LC) to Bo's general drift by noting that certain
    intellectual acts are not S/O, in particular mathematics. Here again, not
    making the distinction between [1] and [2] muddies the discussion. If I am
    thinking about rocks, then the object of thought is O[1] and O[2], but if I
    am thinking about the Pythagorean theorem , then the object of thought is
    only O[2]. But there is a further complication in that the Pythagorean
    theorem only becomes O[2] after I have thought about it. That is, during the
    thinking, there is no "thinking about", there is just the thinking. So
    during the mathematical thinking, Pirsig is right that there is no S/O
    divide -- the thought is the object of thought, but this can only be
    discerned when reflecting on the thought, and reflection is S[2]/O[2].
    Nevertheless, can one say that mathematical thinking is a transcendence of
    S[2]/O[2]? Perhaps. What is the case is that in a certain sense all good
    thinking is mathematical. If I am thinking as a scientist about rocks, what
    I am doing is working with concepts, not particular rocks. An experiment
    with rocks is a testing of the concepts. But, again, this is leading into
    other issues. But the point is that without a correction to the MOQ such as
    SOL, there is no way to address them. And one also needs to keep the
    distinction between the two meanings of S/O in mind.

    - Scott