RE: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 17:15:09 BST

    Platt,

    You misquote Pirsig in your post. It actually reads:

    Copleston: For that which appears, appears to a subject, within the ambit,
    so to speak, of consciousness. We cannot go behind consciousness...

    Pirsig: If by consciousness he means intellectual consciousness the answer
    is, "Yes, we can. Value goes behind consciousness. It exists where there is
    no intellectual consciousness."

    Copleston: ...and analysis of it shows that it essentially involves the
    subject-object relationship. In primitive consciousness subject and object
    are virtually or confusedly present...

    Pirsig: In the pre-intellectual consciousness of an infant value is present
    and there are no subjects and objects.

    Copleston: ...and they are progressively distinguished in the development of
    consciousness until there arises an explicit awareness of a world of objects
    on the one hand and of a self or subject on the other, this awareness of the
    self being developed especially by the experience of effort. As, therefore,
    the subject is present from the start as one of the essential poles even in
    primitive consciousness...

    Pirsig: No it isn't.

    As such, I don't think SOL is bolstered by this excerpt.

    Regards,

    Paul