Re: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 13:56:27 BST

    Scott,

    > Platt said:
    > Whether it's SO(1) or SO(2) seems irrelevant to me since both are static
    > subject-object intellectual patterns. As I interpret the MOQ, all thoughts
    > are static intellectual patterns that emerge after primary value
    > experience.

    > Scott:
    > Yes, a thought is a static intellectual pattern, once it is observed
    > (becomes O[2]). But what is it while it is being thought?

    I don't understand the question. It's like a child's question, "What was I
    before I was born?" In the S/O world, objects don't exist prior to being
    recognized by a subject as objects. In fact, in the S/O world, if an
    object isn't named it doesn't exist.

    > Platt said:
    > Contrary to what you've suggested previously, in writing our posts we're
    > not responding to DQ -- we're merely manipulating static language symbols
    > and meaning patterns stored in memory. People like Van Gogh, Einstein and
    > Pirsig responded to DQ.

    > Scott:
    > If that's what you believe, then you can be replaced by a machine. What you
    > are overlooking is the supreme mystery hidden within the word
    > "manipulating", and the mystery you sweep under the rug by the phrase
    > "stored in memory". This vocabulary falls apart once one actually
    > investigates language and memory.

    A machine cannot tell truth from falsehood. In other words, machines do
    not recognize values. Meanings are beyond the capacity of computers.

    > Platt said:
    > Finally, the question of who or what experiences value presupposes the
    > static S/O split which comes only after the unity of Quality. As William
    > James pointed out, "This page (post) and the seeing of it are one
    > indivisible fact." In truth what you value is actually a union of you-
    > valuing Of course, to express it, we must divide it. Intellect is divisive
    > from the get go.

    > Scott:
    > I would agree if the "static S/O split" you refer to is SO[1]. My point is
    > that the SO[2] is not a static one. Intellect is indeed divisive from the
    > get-go, but it is also unifying from that same get-go. That is how all
    > creation works. Hence Intellect is Quality.

    The unifying you speak of is "meaning." While it's true that intellect
    makes patterns that make for meaning, Quality comes prior to pattern-
    making of any kind.

    Platt