RE: MD Primary Reality

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 00:23:06 BST

    Howdy MOQers:

    Pirsig said:
        It is important for an understanding of the MOQ to see
        that although "common sense" dictates that inorganic
        nature comes first, actually common sense which is a set
        of ideas has to come first. This common sense is arrived
        at through a huge web of socially approved evaluations of
        various alternatives. The key term here is evaluation,i.e.
        quality descisions. The fundamental reality is not the
        common sense or the objects and the laws approved of
        by common sense, but the approval itself and the quality
        that leads to it."

    Bo said this..
    ... was intensely discussed in the a thread called "What comes
    first" and the excellent thinker/writer David M. Buchanan who at
    that time had not discarded his "common sense" protested this,
    but for some strange reason he was convinced by Paul and has
    since shied these things like the proverbial plague.

    dmb says:
    You're way too kind. In fact, my relatively recent conversion, with Paul's
    help, only proves there was room for improvement. And I'm sure there's
    plenty of room left. There are two main reasons why I've shied away. One is
    simply that I'm very busy these days. The second reason is because I don't
    know that I can help. It seems to me that the only effective way to move you
    away from your present position is to somehow dismantle it. Only then could
    I persuade you to accept what Paul is saying. But I don't think I understand
    your position. And frankly, I'm very skeptical of any interpretation that
    has Pirsig so drastically contradicting himself. Not that he's some flawless
    god. But notice how the quote (above) begins, the one you find so troubling
    and contradictory. It says that "it is important for an understanding of the
    MOQ to see" that common sense "has to come first". He's explicitly
    announcing the importance of seeing this. Think about that.

    Bo said:
    But what are Pirsig's motives for these impossible utterings that has
    done so much damage to the MOQ? He refers to ZMM and the
    argument that Newton's theory of gravity were nowhere before
    Newton, but this argument does not deny that there were apples
    and an earth to which they fell before Newton so this does not
    come close to the shocking annotation which says that the notion
    of the static inorganic level (being Quality's first manifestation) is
    a good idea. How does he manage to avoid seeing that by this
    logic the biological, social and intellectual levels also are good
    ideas. And where does ideas reside? Yes, how does the MOQ
    itself avoid falling prey to this idea logic?

    dmb says:
    Actually, in Newton's time there were no apples as we know them. They only
    became the sweet edible fruit during the 19th century through a process of
    not-so-natural selection. Before that they were sour as hell and only good
    for making booze. (For you American's, its interesting to notice that this
    makes Johnny Appleseed a kind of drug dealer, a distributor of Applejack.)
    Also, prior to the "invention" of the law of gravity, falling was explained
    in terms of the four elements seeking their natural place in the hierarchy
    of things. And who knows what other cultures have come up with? The point
    here simply being that things just fall no matter what we say about it. This
    is why Newton's choice to eat the apple got us kicked out of the garden and
    doomed humanity to a life of spiritual exile . ;-)

    But seriously, I think the trick to "avoid falling prey to this idea logic"
    is to refrain from treating the MOQ and Paul's comments as if it were
    SUBJECTIVE idealism. That would be a laspe back into SOM and I'm pretty sure
    the MOQ isn't saying that. The MOQ does not assert that reality is a product
    of the mind, but that the mind is a product of reality. It says the primary
    reality comes before common sense, before that static patterns. The primary
    reality comes before subjects and objects, which are both part of that
    common sense consensus. Notice, in the quote above, how the primary reality
    is not the common sense itself, but "the approval itself and the quality
    that leads to it." And I think the idea here is that any number of static
    realities can be built upon that approval and any number of common sense
    realities can be constructed from it. We can see the value in the idea of
    evolution taking place in a universe with time and space and gravity, one
    that grows from the inorganic to form life and then social structures and
    finally intellect. That's a damn good idea. But it is just an idea, one that
    doesn't work very well when we get into this high country. There are places
    that do not appear on that map, such as this very issue. This is where
    mysticism meets empiricism and its very tricky, as tricky as it is
    important.

    Bo said:
    My explanation is Pirsig's failure to heed his own insight that
    SOM is rejected and only argues against its objective side by
    using SOM's premises of a subject/object (metaphysical) divide
    from which it's child's play to prove that everything is in our mind.
    But the subjective side is also rejected (I may provide quotes)
    and by the same premises it is just as easy to prove that there is
    no mind without matter. The MOQ has left behind the SOM (in
    my opinion by making it its own intellectual level) and in its
    metaphysical system the above annotation is - sorry to say - plain
    rubbish. In the MOQ there is no mind that create ideas about the
    sequence of its own static levels. The inorganic level is Qualitys
    first fall-out and intellect the last. Full stop!!

    dmb says:
    Try to think of it a different way. (Matt will love this.) What if the
    assertion that "the inorganic level is Quality's first fall-out" is taken as
    a metaphor? Let's say we need to explain the relationship between the levels
    in terms a living Westerner can grasp. That's when we'll talk about the
    evolution of the universe in terms of the big bang and astrophysics. That's
    when we'll talk about it in terms of linear time. And that's when it makes
    sense to insist that inorganic quality comes first. But what would it mean
    to the ancient Greeks, who concieved of time moving in the oppostie
    direction and imagined a universe that began in a perfect form and was
    winding down, devolving through lower and lower ages. And what would such an
    explanation mean to that Indian tribe that had no word for "time"? Not much.
    These are different cultures with different ideas about what common sense
    reality is. If the primary reality is the approval itself and the quality
    that leads to common sense, then there is room for all these various
    interpretations. And if we had to explain the MOQ's hierarchy to the Indian
    or some ancient ghost, we ought not insist on our common sense. I think its
    important to introduce the idea of DQ as Nothingness at this point. I would
    remind you that the primary empirical reality is so described to suggest its
    no-thingness. Its not a vacuum like cold, dark space. It just that it is not
    finite. It is beyond concepts of time and space and all that. And so maybe
    we'd tell them that inorganic quality, which is Quality's fall-out, is
    lowest in the hierarchy. We'd tell the ancient one that it'll be the only
    thing left at the end of time. We'd tell the Indian that its the most simple
    level, the most stable level or some other way that will make sense to her.
    But the really interesting thing is that these different common sense
    realities all work. They all explain experience. And while there are any
    number of ever-changing sommon sense explanations, its not arbitrary either.
    We don't get to just go around making stuff up. And what was it Pirsig said
    about the mythos, if you think you can step outside of it, then you don't
    understand what it is? Despite Ham's fear of a communist takeover by
    postmodern Freudians, or whatever, culture is a collective affair. The
    language is bigger than any speaker and having a personal worldview is the
    definition of insanity. This is why SOM has to have some relationship to the
    MOQ, why it has to be subsumed within it, so it ain't craziness. This is why
    Pirsig can accept common sense explanations as good idea and yet contradict
    them when it comes to issues concerning the primary empirical reality. When
    Phaedrus finally finds the Qualtiy he'd been looking for the whole world
    disappeared, even himself. All those static patterns dissolved. And I would
    speculate that even then there was experience that could later be described
    as inorganic. Whatever words in whatever culture, there is something in the
    immediate flux of experience that may properly be described as first or last
    or most basic or most stable or whatever. As long as we agree. As long as it
    works, for all practical purposes, that is our realtiy and its not wrong.
    Once we get into the static world all that matters is that we work within
    the given context. Even evolutionary change and creativity have to work
    within the given context. There is a rightness to our static forms that does
    not allow us to be too imprecise or dreamy.
    And its seems that a big chunk of inorganic reality will crush a skull no
    matter what its called or why we think it fell on him.

    But ultimately, I think we're talking about a mystical reality. The MOQ
    asserts that reality is not definable, is infinite and timeless. That means
    there are no "things" and there is no "first". They're just good ideas. This
    realization is a real bummer when you're first in line to buy a new thing,
    but there it is.

    Bo said:
    In LILA there is nothing about ideas as the primary reality. Paul
    will of course tell you that it is Quality that creates the ideas, but it
    doesn't change a thing, if the inorganic level is an idea, then
    intellect is an idea, and the whole MOQ (as an intellectual pattern
    according to him) is an idea too. Yes, by the same token logic
    there was no Quality before Pirsig. Point to it ...etc.

    dmb says:
    Full circle. If Paul tells you that Quality is the generator of everything
    we know and not intellect, I think he'd be telling you that the MOQ is a
    form of philosophical mysticism and NOT subjective idealism. They may look
    alike and even overlap a bit, but Pirsig's long and sustained attack on that
    ridiculous fictional man behind the eyeballs prevents that.

    I think Paul's explanations are cool and concise compared to this clumsy
    mess, but there you go.

    Thanks.