Re: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL

From: Allen Barrows (allen_barrows@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 03:52:37 BST

    Hi Allen

    It isn't easy to avoid such things, but it goes for all levels. It
    sounds as a value "something" creates the patterns, while it it
    really is one and the same.

    Hello Bo, I find myself wishing to ask you how can you get division from a monism.

    Intellect is supposed to be part of the static realm of MOQ's
    overall Dynamic/Static system and by no twist of logic can it (the
    MOQ) be seen as a sub-set of its own

    The MOQ is a sq pattern which was made by a Dynamic process of symbolic
    manipulation.
    The MOQ is included at the intellectual level and is not a subset of itself because the
    other levels are experienced and simply accounted for at the top level
    with a symbol.

    > I think this is why people reckon the MOQ is
    > idealism,

    Yes! That's my opinion too, but Pirsig has repeatedly denied
    idealism as having any special affinity for the MOQ.

    It is not my position even though i understand other people misunderstand. The answer
    is simple when you put experience first then experience is the basis of
    your metaphysics but idealists place ideas first and move out from that. As i just said,
    experience includes other patterns other than the intellectual in the
    MOQ but the intellect can still designate a symbol for them.

    The MOQ clearly states that experience is first and it is then a mistake to equate this
    with idealism.
    The MOQ indicates many experiences which are not patterns of intellect and one very
    important area is social patterns. Both idealists and materialists have huge
    problems describing what they are but the MOQ deals with them and it does so by
    begining with experience and not ideas.

    > because even when it says there are social and organic and
    > inorganic values all these are suggestions being made by the
    > intellect.

    This is intellect peering down at the lower levels imposing its own
    S/O value upon them, seeing everything as intellectual
    suggestions about a something "out there". Let's not be fooled by
    it.

    This is far too rapid for me bo. I must repeat i have not suggested that everything is
    intellectual i have said and Lila says too that experience is first. If
    we chart how this much later process happens we can see it has been taught to us by
    our parents which is to say our biological and social experience. The
    intellect is free to wander anywhere it likes and that is to say values and it does not
    value in here or out there it is not peering down it is soring up
    towards the sky. The sky is boundless and free and open and the rules for this flight are
    as follows:

    The block at the top [of the above MOQ diagram] contains such static

    intellectual patterns as theology, science, philosophy, mathematics. The

    placement of the intellect in this position makes it superior to society, biology

    and inorganic patterns but still inferior to Dynamic Quality. (Pirsig, 1995a,

    p.14)

    Intellectual values include truth, justice, freedom, democracy and trial by jury.

    Both the subject-object metaphysics and the MOQ are patterns lying entirely

    within the intellectual level of evolution. Other patterns in the same level are

    Euclidian and Riemann geometry, the branches of scientific knowledge, and the

    written laws. (Pirsig, 1998b)
    > People then can not figure out why everything is just
    > intellect.

    "People" of this group seems just too willing. ;-)

    I have not detected this willingness Bo. It is certainly not argued for in Anthony McWatts
    book for example. In fact his book argues well against such a
    misunderstanding it seems to me. I would ask anyone who says the MOQ is idealism to
    read his book.

    > Social organic and inorganic patterns do not call
    > themselves anything the only thing that can represent them and not be
    > them are intellectual patterns. As Anthony McWatts book says

    Your'e right organic and inorganic levels were from before
    language (maybe the social level too for the most part) but this
    doesn't mean that they only exist in "language". You see, by now
    you have made language all there is, which is the subjective half
    of SOM.

    Again i must stop and catch my breath you move too rapidly Bo. I must gently take your
    arm and beg you to rest a moment. Where have i said that language is all
    there is. Quite the opposite in fact i have said experience is first. Please do not skip past
    this most important point.

    This transferred to the MOQ makes its intellectual level SOM's
    subjective half, but this I vehemently protest, intellectual value is
    a very special outlook that distinguishes between what is
    objective and what is subjective.

    You say MOQ intellectual level is SOMs subjective half because of SODV i think. SODV
    says both social and intellectual sq patterns may be considered subjective
    and not the intellect by its self. Please read SODV again and check for yourself if what i
    say is wrong bo.

    You disagree and say intellectual level is a distinguishing outlook and by that i take it
    you mean value because being able to distinguish is a value judgement.
    So what is doing the judgeing? What has this outlook? Quality monism? Is not outlook a
    visual metaphor with SOM undertones? If you mean quality then you have
    defined quality with a dualism. Saying something is special does not add anything to
    your argument Bo.

    > Intellectuality
    > occurs when these customs as well as biological and inorganic
    patterns
    > are designated with a sign that stands for them and these signs are
    > manipulated independently of the patterns they stand for. ‘Intellect’
    > can then be defined very loosely as the level of independently
    > manipulable signs. Grammar, logic and mathematics can be described as
    > the rules of this sign manipulation.

    > As you can see symbols can simply float away from what they point to.

    The above is Pirsig from Lila's Child, a definition aimed at
    repairing the "intellect=thinking" sidetrack that he admitted to in
    the PT letter.

    There words 'intellect is the same thing as thinking' do not appear in the quote you have
    here. I read it again and still they are not here. You are adding your
    own words after those in the quote. I simply can not see the words intellect equals
    thinking in this quote at all.

    Thinking can be social so you use the word thinking bad here. The key is that what is
    being said here is independant from what (custom) symbols stand for. Now
    that is exactly what i say in my little social traffic light story a story you have not brought
    into this post even though i tried hard to invent it exactly so
    you could see the independance we find in your quote. In other words your quote
    supports my story and not intellect equals thinking.

    But this definition is merely one of language
    (concepts manipulated by rules of syntax and grammar)
    something I see as the social pattern that became intellects
    "vehicle".

    Language is both social and intellectual depending on the independance of the symbols
    from what they customary stand for and this is stated very clearly in the
    quote. So to dismiss it as merely language is crude. I am not pleased with your vehicle
    metaphor because the word vehicle imlies containment when the word
    independant conveys freedom. New behaviour is not carried by its componants it is a
    new mode of relationships between componants.

    But you have some more to say:

    > Some might say this is a difference between objective appearence and
    > subjective thought but it does not have to be at all it seems to me
    > because grammer can manipulate symbols independantly of whether any
    > objects or subjects are percieved.

    OK I see and agree, but the thing is that my favorite people of old
    (social reality in the MOQ) used language without caring about
    any such difference. Language was part of that malleable magic
    reality where rituals (chanting f.ex) could change it. Social
    existence has its present day reminiscence in religions and
    prayers
    The intellectual LEVEL occurred when the difference (between
    what is symbolized and the symbol was "discovered" (just one
    aspect of it)

    Not according to the MOQ and my traffic light simile. The intellectual level occures with
    symbols being manipulated independently from what they stood for. What
    i have is symbol and manipulation. What you have is symbol and another symbol.

    But dear Allen if you admitted to my "intellect the
    S/O prism", all the rest is a bit inconsequential Don't you see
    that?

    Bo

    No i do not see.
    I wish there was an argument for what you are saying but i can not find one yet.
    Thank you
    Allen