Re: MD Bolstering Bo's SOL - Part A

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 16:57:42 BST

    On 17 Jun 2005 at 18:04, Allen Barrows wrote:

    > Hi Bo, Ant and others,

    > It follows that the split into subjects and objects is just one of the
    > ways in which the intellectual knife can cut.

    I don't have a search-able ZMM and when looking for something
    !!! but I am fairly sure that it was the "analytical" knife Phaedrus
    employed not intellectual, but it shows Allen's hang-up in intellect
    as "thinking itself"

    > For example, a
    > metaphysical hierarchy can be formed by dividing reality into dynamic
    > and static quality, then dividing static quality into inorganic
    > patterns, biological patterns....... and so on! I will happily say
    > that intellect can divide Quality into subjects and objects, but I
    > will not say that intellect _only_ divides Quality into subjects and
    > objects.

    .....and his analytical cut-up in ZMM ended with the
    Romantic/Classic (the latter sub-titled "intellectual reality") as the
    Subject/Object divide. Not one among many intellectual patterns,
    but THE ONLY ONE! Is there a more solid proof of the SOL?

    The said Romantic/Classic did not make it as the base for the
    final MOQ (they correspond to the social and intellectual levels
    in it) but intellect ought to have remained the S/O value. It really
    is when intellectual VALUE is treated, but formally, when Pirsig
    speaks about intellect, he too lapsed into the "thinking" dead end.

    However, this he "recants" in the Paul Turner letter, but everyone
    seem oblivious to that.

    Bo