Re: MD MOQ in time and space

From: Michael Hamilton (thethemichael@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 18:19:58 BST

    Hello Reiner, and welcome (although I'm almost a newcomer myself -
    have only been on the list for a couple of months).

    My view is that the concept of geometric space can and should be
    retained. We may have replaced "substance" with "inorganic patterns of
    value", but this doesn't mean abandoning commonly undertood concepts
    such as "space". In the MOQ, extension in space is simply a property
    of inorganic and biological patterns of value.

    What we can and should abandon is the idea that _only_ things that are
    extended in space are real. Space is a useful concept, and I don't see
    what is to be gained from abandoning it completely.

    The question of time in the MOQ seems somewhat different, because
    "time" (as the word is commonly understood) seems to be bound up with
    _all_ value, and can't be confined to the inorganic and biological
    levels. It also seems to have a great deal to do with dynamic quality.
    I brought up this subject recently, and Ant was kind enough to send me
    the appendix from his degree thesis, that attempts to relate time to
    the MOQ. I'll pass it on to you.

    Regards,
    Mike