Re: MD Our Immoral Supreme Court

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 13:23:32 BST

    > Hi Mark M:
    > So a human happening is unique, has a name, and is
    > aware. To me that's a pretty good description of
    > "self."
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > Hello Platt, you have been selective here have you
    > not? You have left out the 'happening' bit.
    > I am getting that spinning feeling.

    Hi Mark M:
    Did you not see "happening" as in "human happening" above.

    > Platt:
    > Me too, which means I hold someone like Pirsig in
    > higher regard than others.
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > Which means you hold the MOQ in higher regard than
    > other intellectual patterns.

    Yes. But I though we were talking about the quality of unique human
    happenings.

    > Platt:
    > Agree. That's why discussing politics on a philosophy
    > site makes sense.
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > Uncritically agreeing with 'The founding fathers' is
    > not intellectual enquiery, this is dogmatic assertion.
    > I say uncritically because you have not as yet
    > presented any arguments.
    > You have made allot of demands and asked allot of
    > question by way of response, and this is not
    > intellectual enquiery either.

    Asking question is not intellectual inquiry? That's a new one on me.

    > Platt:
    > Ok, but I wonder why you use small letter i to refer
    > to yourself -- oops, I mean your happening.
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > Let us simply agree that 'i' stands for these events.

    Sorry. Can't agree to ignore the English language.

    > Platt:
    > Wish that were true, but things can happen at the
    > social level while we're not looking that can block
    > intellectual value, like laws being enacted to punish
    > people with unacceptable thoughts.
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > That happened in the McCarthy era.

    You made my point.

    > Platt:
    > That's good. Now fill in the details.
    >
    > Mark 4-7-05:
    > The details may be difficult to impliment in your
    > country because this would require giving all children
    > everywhere for free the opportunity to experience the
    > best they need to feel stimulated and inspired.

    Why more difficult in the U.S than, say, Britain? Can you give some
    examples of the "best" that they need to be inspired? Rock and roll
    perhaps?

    Platt