Re: MD MOQ and The Moral Society

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 14:56:30 BST

    > msh before:
    > Although the Constitution and its amendments (sometimes referred to
    > as the Bill of Rights ) does not specifically state that we have
    > the right not to die just because we cannot afford a pacemaker or
    > dialysis, it's pretty easy to argue that anyone who dies under such
    > conditions is being deprived of life without the due process of law,
    > as required by the Fifth Amendment.
    >
    > platt 7-6-05:
    > If it's an easy argument, why don't you try to make it.
    >
    > msh 7-6-05:
    > I didn't formalize it because it is obvious, or should be. When
    > someone dies as a result of being refused life-saving treatment, they are
    > being deprived of life. If the government allows this to happen without
    > showing legal cause, then the government has deprived someone of life
    > without the due process of law.

    If your argument had value, the Supreme Court would have required the
    federal government to provide a national health service, not to mention
    other "life-saving" measures to provide jobs, cars, computers, phones and
    other "necessities of life." The politicians would have had a field day
    promising this or that "necessity" to everybody. All the more reason why
    it's important for Congress to approve a strict constructionist to the
    Supreme Court to replace O'Conner.

    > msh before:
    > Now, on to the next subject. Here's the reply to my example of a
    > car manufacturer's decision to allow expected injury and death to
    > occur because it would be more cost effective to do so:
    >
    > "Freedom doesn't mean ... freedom from the risks of driving an
    > automobile. Criminal neglect that causes injury to others can be
    > redressed in courts of tort law."
    >
    > My example shows deliberate action resulting in a dramatic increase
    > in the risk of driving an automobile, and then more action to
    > conceal the heightened risk from consumers. This is certainly
    > criminal, but way more than simple neglect. The idea that death and
    > injury and general familial misery resulting from this activity can
    > be compensated through law suits after the fact is obscene. Anyone
    > promoting such an idea is operating at the same moral level as the
    > executive who made the decision in the first place.
    >
    > platt 7-6-05:
    > Somehow I don't to look to MSH for guidance on what moral level
    > someone occupies.
    >
    > msh 7-6-05:
    > This is a non-responsive insult devoid of argument or evidence,

    And where, pray tell, is the argument or evidence for your "obscene"
    insult?

    > platt 7-6-05:
    > I don't think quality of life can be measured in percentages of
    > wealth or insurance.

    > msh 7-6-05:
    > This is non-responsive opinion devoid of argument or evidence.

    No. It's answering you assertions by denying the relevancy (not to mention
    the reliability) of your statistical measurements.

    > platt before:
    > The question I would pose is: Who decides when ownership becomes low
    > quality?
    >
    > msh responded:
    > If one truly embraces the Metaphysics of Quality, the decision is
    > made by examining the moral hierarchy. Low-quality ownership is
    > that which leads to the destabilization of society. See my
    > examples above.

    > platt 7-6-05:
    > There's a revolution going on in Afghanistan and Iraq? I thought by
    > your lights it was an American invasion.

    > msh 7-6-05:
    > The invasion is over. The insurrectionists are fighting against the
    > American occupation, as well as the American-backed government, which they
    > see as non-representative of their interests, just as the American
    > colonists in our own Revolutionary War fought British troops and other
    > representatives of the British government.

    Of course. I should have known that this would be the view of Chomsky's
    Chum. The terrorists that this morning bombed London are the moral
    equivalent to the fighters at Valley Forge.

    > msh before:
    > Even in America, in the 1930's and later in the 60s, we have come
    > very close to insurrection. In the 30's the unrest was directly
    > attributable to the disparity between rich and poor. Massive
    > violence was averted by the domestic policies of the New Deal,
    > followed by the really huge economic injections of state cash
    > required by US involvement in WWII.
    >
    > platt 7-6-5:
    > Massive violence averted by the New Deal? Talk about unsupported
    > statements.
    >
    > msh 7-6-05:
    > Yes, "massive" was a bad choice of words on my part, suggesting as it does
    > some sort of large-scale organized rebellion. This was not the case,
    > though things may very well have gotten to that point had the government
    > not intervened economically.
    >
    > In fact, there were many violent encounters between authorities and
    > desperate people in cities all around the country, with the number
    > growing each year the Depression wore on. For starters, read
    > Chapter 15 of Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United
    > States," and follow up some of the references.
    >
    > Or "Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists During the Great Depression"
    > by Robin D. G. Kelley
    >
    > I'm sure your own diligent research into the subject will turn up
    > many more references.

    Right. You might try reading "FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal
    Prolonged the Great Depression."

    Platt