Re: MD MOQ and The Moral Society

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 18:49:54 BST

    MSH writes:
    > You didn't respond to this important snippet, regarding our evolution
    > toward a more moral society. Shall we post, for the record, that you
    > concede my point?
    >
    > Otherwise, please read below, and respond.

    > On 10 Jul 2005 at 9:29, Platt Holden wrote:
    >
    > > msh 7-6-05:
    > > I didn't formalize it because it is obvious, or should be. When
    > > someone dies as a result of being refused life-saving treatment,
    > > they are being deprived of life. If the government allows this to
    > > happen without showing legal cause, then the government has
    > deprived
    > > someone of life without the due process of law.
    >
    > If someone dies as the result of his neighbor refusing to donate
    > blood and the government fails to force the neighbor to give blood,
    > then the government has deprived someone of life without due
    > process. Hard to believe that anyone would make such an argument.

    > msh 7-10-05:
    > No one is making that argument. We're talking about taxes, not
    > blood. Governments, through due process of law, collect taxes to
    > provide any number of things: police, fire, and other emergency
    > services, roads, sewage systems, water systems. Not to mention less
    > critical services such as schools, libraries, museums, parks. My
    > argument is that, unless life-saving health services are included in
    > this list, our government permits the deprivation of human life
    > without the due process of law.

    You can assert that "no one is making that argument" until Chomsky gets
    elected to public office. But it won't fly. That's precisely the argument
    you're making because once you go down that road of forcing others by law
    to "save lives," there's no stopping. Thankfully there's no such law and
    thus your due process argument is absurd.

    Your willingness to force others to "do good" at the point of a gun in
    order to achieve your "moral society" is astounding. I admit there's a
    little dictatorial urge in all of us, but you take the cake.

    Platt