MD A Moment of Civility

From: Mati Palm-Leis (mpalm@merr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 14:03:02 BST

    The MOQ Family

    A thought for us all.

    I lately have been pondering the thought of the effects of SOM on the modern
    ego. Also I have watch and read many of the post over the past two years and
    it has been an overall positive exercise. The only issue I take to heart is
    the times when we take pot shots or lace our comments with sarcasm. Why is
    it done? Perhaps out of frustration or ego. Personally I find them sad and
    do not find them helpful in the advancement of the discussion. When I find
    them it seems to turn our messages into monologues rather than the dialogues
    that we want to achieve. If they are a product of our ego, I suspect that we
    ourselves really know. I would identify these comments as a social discourse
    and lacking of respect for the individual being and ultimately ourselves.
    It is like going to a family reunion with your girlfriend and seeing Uncle
    Tim and Grandpa Larry arguing bitterly with verbal sarcasm and barbs. They
    may always do it and it may even be fun for them. Then you to turn to
    girlfriend and say, welcome to the family? This discussion group and its
    readers are a vital part of the intellectual advancement MOQ as a
    philosophical paradigm. As tempting and justified as these barbs may seem,
    they can not ever be done so on an intellectual level. We can agree to
    disagree and politely retort with thoughtful ideas, hey that is where the
    real fun is!

    Mati