RE: MD Personal Report on MoQ Conference

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 03:05:18 BST

    Howdy MOQers:

    Mati Palm-Leis said:
    ...The sad truth is I believe it will take a number of academics with a
    commitment to the future to sustain it validity and growth. So guys if
    there is anything I can do to help let me know.

    dmb replies:
    Thanks. Don't be too surprized if I hit you up for some advice.

    ian asked:
    I too discovered (and already ordered !) the Cocteau Orphee trilogy. ..What
    I couldn't recall (with certainty) was specifically which film title to
    which Bob had referred. Did you note it?

    dmb says:
    I think your original guess was probably right, the third one, which is
    titled "Testament of Orpheus". If I recall rightly, the first was released
    in 1930, the second in 1949 and the third in 1962, which fits neatly into
    Pirsig's biography.
    The first one was too antiquated for me, which makes it to proberly
    appreciate the content. I'll try again. The second one spooked me pretty
    good. I definately got the impression the director was rendering something
    about the myth that he knew from personal experience. I never saw that
    before. It shook me. Haven't seen the third one yet...

    Horse reported:
    The conference the next day was awesome. I enjoyed listening to every one of
    the
    papers and the subsequent questions. The highlight was definitely David's
    paper with Gavin coming in a close second, but all of the others were of a
    really high standard and it's hard to choose between them - so I won't.
    ...My comment to David re: Bob's comments to him, was something along the
    lines of 'I bet you won't come down for about a week'. Looks like I
    underestimated :^)

    dmb says:
    You're too kind. I like to think Gav and I worked like a team at the
    conference. I attacked the static priests and he attacked the static
    professors. I'm thinking we should take it on the road with a few
    preformance artists and maybe some naked fire eaters too. I'm still thinking
    about the whole Orpheus episode, but you're right - I still haven't quite
    landed yet.

    Gav said:
    really wish i coulda gone to amsterdam for the conference's second week of
    events....

    dmb says:
    The only thing you missed was more of the same. All we did, all I did was
    talk about Liverpool. The spot you recommended was perfect, but I was so
    fascinated by the first week's events that it might as well have been
    another pub in Liverpool. Except for a few short episodes conjured up by
    sheer will, I forgot to be a tourist.

    Gav said:
    looking forward to sharing some more thoughts later...for now i have to sit
    on the lawn.

    dmb says:
    I know the feeling.