Re: MD MOQ and The Moral Society

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 14:55:48 BST

    Hi Arlo,

    On education

    > [Platt]
    > 2) If high schools educated to higher standards than is now deemed
    > acceptable, the diploma could be much more meaningful. (If pigs could fly .
    > ..:-)
    >
    > [Arlo]
    > Which is one way to rethink about the 12th grade cut off. Should we rethink
    > the purpose of high school, and what is taught, to make a high-school
    > diploma capable of providing "meaningful employment"? The "apprenticeship"
    > model of Germany I mentioned could be one solution. But, is this in line
    > with the MOQ? In ZMM, Pirsig talks about letting students "drop out", get a
    > hard-knocks education, and potentially return to the school motivated by
    > Quality, rather than money, grades or degrees. Can/should all education be
    > like this? Should we abolish "compulsory" altogether?
    >
    > This gets back to "purpose". One of the original "purposes" was to turn out
    > "good citizens", and teach life skills, hygiene, etc. If it is to teach a
    > basic set of skills, what goal does that basic set serve? Health and
    > hygiene? Vocation? Art? Literacy? Informed citizenry for voting purposes?

    IMO the purpose of education is to develop intellectual skills, beginning
    with the fundamentals of reading, writing and arithmetic. That "serves" to
    bring more individuals into upper quality realms of the intellectual
    level, the highest level next to DQ itself. Without a thorough grounding
    in basic intellectual skills, not much more can be accomplished in an MOQ
    moral society. Set high standards for attaining intellectual proficiency
    and the rest -- careers, life skills, good citizenships, etc. will pretty
    much take care of themselves.

    Does that fit your concept of an MOQ education?

    Platt