Re: MD Agreeing To Disagree

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 05:12:56 BST

    Mark,

    I definitely agree with you.

    The only slight variation (cf your conclusive chess example) is that
    agreeing to disagree should be seen as temporary (unfinished business)
    situation. A break to re-think may not be a bad thing, in fact it may
    be a very good thing, but it is not a conclusion.

    It does imply someone is "keeping score" though, in terms of
    outstanding sticking points. I was actually trying to draft a post
    about "rules of philosophic engagement", and this is an example, in
    the meantime my jumbled thoughts are in my blog. We need to
    distinguish arguments from meta-arguments.

    Ian

    PS, love the range of your below-signature quotes, where do you get em
    all from ?