Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 05:31:50 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    Doesn't the scale of a pattern have more to do with what level it winds up
    in? I mean, isn't climbing a tree to get the bananas an idea? I think to
    qualify as itellectual a pattern has to be observed over a wide area, of
    space and time, like democracy or universal health care. So a single
    bicycle is an inorganic pattern, but the knowledge of how to build bicycles
    and the idea of people riding bicycles to get around is an intellectual
    pattern.

    This would make biological terrorism an intellectual pattern, because it
    acts on a wide scale, not on the people it kills. Those people are killed
    by biological patterns, certainly, but they themselves are not terrorized at
    all, except for a very brief moment. The point of it though is inciting
    terror across a large populace and for a long time, which makes terrorism an
    intellectual pattern. Just because we don't approve of something doesn't
    mean we have to rationalize some reason why it isn't an itellectual pattern.
      I disagree with Pirsig's notion that intellectual patterns are
    automatically superior to social patterns, in fact I think most of them are
    terribly fascist and anti-human.

    I also have a problem with Pirsig's notion that evolution has to be toward
    some goal. He admired Lemark's theories and found Darwin's survival of the
    fittest nonsense, because it was simply 'survival of the survivors', which
    he felt was meaningless. But it IS just survival of the survivors. Dynamic
    quality, in my view, is not a goal that static quality advances 'toward',
    that is just a romantic view that we have come, intellectually, because of
    static intellectual patterns, to believe. Certainly, what we happen to
    believe evolution is advancing toward changes culturally, and that would
    imply that dynamic quality changes. Of perhaps it is just our idea of
    dynamic quality that changes, but if so, then we don't understand dynamic
    quality's indifferent nature, imo.