Re: MD Tat Tvam Asi, Campbell and Theosis

From: khaled Alkotob (khaledsa@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 17:19:51 BST

    Sam, DMB and all

    Khaled Says

    Please consider the following:
    When I get in discussion with people about religion, they say to me you
    worship Allah and we worship God.
    So I ask them. If you Happen to be a Christian living in an Arab speaking
    country, what do you call God?

    They answer I get is God of course, then I tell them it is Allah. That
    tends to derail their train of thought and the first word out of their
    mouth is "NO".

    That goes to show me 1. The ignorance 2. their refusal to see how Close
    the main 3 monotheistic religions are. ( Judaism, Christianity, Islam)

    Which begs the next question. ( Play along here) when Christ does return,
    where do you think is he going to show up? Toledo, Ohio.?

    I think not. I would love to see the look on the face of the
    fundamentalists when they see a dark skinned, Arabic speaking messiah
    telling them it's time to go.
    ( I would love to see a survey showing me how many people think that the
    Bible was originally written in English). And do you happen to know where
    the word Bible comes from. The town of Byblos, North of Beirut was known
    for it's high quality papyrus paper.

    On a parting note, it's also very interesting to compare Eastern
    Christianity ( not Eastern orthodox necessarily) to protestant/catholic
    practices of those who live in Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and
    Jordan to those who live in Europe and those who live in America.

    My point is before you go on comparing eastern religion to western, take
    a look at Eastern Christianity to western. How it first got Romanized,
    then westernized.
    That would give you lots of clues to the larger endeavor of comparing
    eastern _ _ _ to Western _ _ _.

    For example in the Lord's prayer in English we say

    Our Father who art in heaven.............Give us our daily bread

    in Arabic you say:

    Our father in the skies..........Give us our bread, enough for our day.

    Just a thought.

    Khaled