Re: MD ZMM--See what he saw?

From: C.L. Everett (seaelle@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 18:33:03 BST

    On 8/12/05, Richard Loggins <brloggins@yahoo.com> wrote:

    Pirsig saw the green flash. Did you see the green flash? - Rich

    Well, I don't recall a green flash. Pirsig said something like: . . . to
    look at an insane man is not to see him at all. To see him you have to see
    what he saw. Pirsig didn't need to write Lila for me. Lila just takes the
    analytic knife to quality--something "I thought" the ZMM Pirsig refused to
    do.

    When I first read ZMM, decades ago, I felt that what was already in my head
    was being "languaged"--named and explicated. ZMM was a one-of-a-kind work of
    brilliance (and sweat and torture) that is a model of what good writing (and
    good philosophy) should be, at least to me.

    Why was I terrified reading ZMM? My maternal grandmother was "diagnosed and
    treated" as a paranoid skitzophrenic which I did not find out about until I
    was grown. I was around the age when they say skitzophrenia kicks in, if
    it's going to, when I read ZMM. Each time I got to the passage, "those
    eyes!" I'd have to put it down--I knew what was coming. I must have started
    it over 4 or 5 times. I was afraid he was going to take me with him and he
    did. Was it Vonnegut who said the only ones for me are the mad ones, mad to
    live, mad to die?

    --
    C.L. Everett
    "The life of a warrior cannot possibly be cold and lonely and without