Re: MD Re: Robert Harris

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 06:26:29 BST

    Sorry Ant,

    I'm still a little baffled, by how little I can find about this guy
    and how much store both you and Platt seem to place in him. (I'm in
    the same business area, and BP has been a customer of mine over many
    years.)

    Your summary above says ...
    "Managers expect tangible financial results as quickly as possible
    rather than long term Quality results which cover a multitude of
    corporate issues on top of bottom line profits (such as the wider and
    external environment). However, as Harris has emphasised in his
    papers, a company once it has become a team of people genuinely
    believing and working together towards a common Quality aim become
    nearly unstoppable in their field."

    For me that summary is exactly the thing all the management and TQM
    Gurus were saying through the 70's and 80's. (ie forget the numbers
    and arithmetic, look at the people and the culture - Excellence was
    the buzzword for quality.) Very much the core subject and motivation
    in my conference paper, and my interest in MoQ in the first place,
    you'll recognise. A reaction to "management science".

    I can't find Harris referenced at all in the second link you provided,
    and in his BP "Eco" paper he doesn't even mention quality or anything
    like it that I can see.
    (The Paradigm Research International that he founded seems to move in
    corporate security & politics circles.) Despite your reference to the
    UN / Eco-Politics stuff, I can't see any evidence of his involvement
    their either.

    Intriguing.
    I take it his "papers" are all hard-copy academic library stuff ?
    I make take up your offer.
    Ian