RE: MD What it means to believe in the orthodox Christian God (em otion)

From: Laycock, Jos (OSPT) (Jos.Laycock@OFFSOL.GSI.GOV.UK)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 17:12:39 BST

    Hi Sam

    I agree that emotion cannot be reduced to any one level and I am glad that
    you want to make sure that the observations of neuroscientists integrate
    with the MOQ.
    As a neuroscientist MOQer I consider that the two are extremely compatible
    as I haven't yet seen them conflict within my own personal worldview.

    Just thinking out loud then...

    Emotion is necessarily inorganic in its mode of action, necessarily
    biological in its response to the inorganic and necessarily cultural in its
    manifestation.
    But Aren't all MOQ entities are composed of their subordinate levels as much
    as they are by their evolutionary pinnacle?
    We choose to name them by this second category, so in the case of emotion,
    rather than saying that it is a platypus I think it should be thought of as
    a part of whichever level we can agree is the highest at which it is
    manifest.

    Now, I want to say that emotion (love/pain) is the biological response in
    the human brain to DQ interaction, so what if...

    Emotion "release" is an evolutionarily derived behaviour, whose proper
    physiological (err?) role is to report to consciousness the advent of
    quality presence or absence. However this is not to say that it cannot be
    hijacked by other reporting chains as this is very common in other
    neurological systems. (Causing sensory hallucinations like referred pain,
    phantom limb, paradoxical "cold" termoreceptor activation, etc...)

    Thus perhaps emotion appears to be a platypus because it is more accurately
    one of two distinct types of thing:

    1, Nasty cultural spovs learning to conceal their anti intellectual messages
    in amongst the juicy DQ derivatives.
    2, Juicy DQ derivatives

    And as intellect doesn't know whether it is "seeing" quality, or a hijacking
    culture/biology morality, it cant tell whether to subordinate or embrace and
    nor can we.

    Jos