Re: MD Tat Tvam Asi, Campbell and Theosis

From: Erin (macavity11@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 04:39:49 BST

    Hi Sam,

     I especially liked this part....

    Love: What I mean can only be understood by those to whom God has given
    understanding and by none other; it is not taught by scripture, nor can
    human reason work it out... It is a gift received from the Most High, in
    whom all knowing leads to a loss of understanding...So this soul that has
    become nothing possesses all and possesses nothing, knows all and knows
    nothing, wills everything and wills nothing.

    It reminds me of a quote of Tom Robbins.....the ultimate answers can't be given, they can only be receivied It also reminds me of this phrase that really caught my interest but I haven't followed up on it yet.....Don Delillo (writer of Underworld, White Noise, etc.) uses this phrase in his book "cloud of unknowing" He doesn't really go in depth of what he is referring to but when I looked up the phrase I found that there is a 15th century book on mysticism with that title. (author anonymous) Have you ever heard or read it?

    Erin

    Sam Norton <elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

    BTW Eckhart was influenced by the Beguines - many of his extant writings are
    in fact sermons to communities of women religious, like the Beguines -
    especially one named Marguerite Porete, who was burned at the stake in 1310.

    "Love: once a soul has reached this state [of abolishing self-will], she can
    say to the virtues: 'I have no further need of you, now I have served you
    all this time'.
    The Soul: I agree, dear Love. I was their servant, but your kind courtesy
    has set me free from enslavement to them. Virtues, I leave you behind
    forever! My heart is now freer and more at peace than it has ever been. It
    was hard work being your servant, that I know well. For a time I put my
    heart inseparably into your service and you knew it: I was completely given
    over toyou, thereofre then I was your slave, but now I am released, and I
    wonder how I was able to escape.
    Love: This soul knows no care, has neither shame nor honour, neither poverty
    nor riches, neither joy nor sorrow, neither love nor hate, neither hell nor
    heaven.
    Reason: For God's sake, Love, what are you saying?
    Love: What I mean can only be understood by those to whom God has given
    understanding and by none other; it is not taught by scripture, nor can
    human reason work it out... It is a gift received from the Most High, in
    whom all knowing leads to a loss of understanding...So this soul that has
    become nothing possesses all and possesses nothing, knows all and knows
    nothing, wills everything and wills nothing.
    Reason: Lady Love, how can this be, you said before that this soul has no
    will? How, then, can she will everything and will nothing?
    Love: Because, dear Reason, it is not the soul's will that wills, but God's
    will willing in her; the soul does not rest in love as if led to it by any
    desires of her own. Rather, love rests in her, takes over her will, and has
    her will of her. So now love can work in the soul without the soul's will,
    and the soul will be freed from all cares."
    (Elements in "" taken from 'How to be a Heretic', Denys Turner)

    One last irony: Marguerite Porete's major writing was 'A mirror of simple
    souls', which was condemned as heretical in 1306. It was circulated
    anonymously after that time, and over time the authorship was forgotten
    whilst the text remained. In 1926 it was granted an official Catholic
    'imprimatur' (ie approval) because it was seen as being written by 'an
    unknown male of the fourteenth century'. Porete's gender and language were
    more objectionable to the hierarchy than her theology.

    Sam