Re: MD The MOQ conference hoax

From: hampday@earthlink.net
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 07:04:10 BST

    Hi Sam --

    On 8/24, commenting on Ian's denial that the MoQ is "anything like a cult or
    religion", you remarked:

    > Well, Struan's irony is drawing on something - I don't think he would use
    > that particular form of language unless he had that perception as well.
    >
    > What I'm talking about is the way in which disagreements consistently tend
    > to be interpreted (by some) as 'you haven't understood it yet'. The MoQ is
    > 'inspired', therefore it cannot be wrong, therefore if you disagree with
    it
    > there must be something wrong with you - ie, you haven't grasped it yet,
    you
    > must still be in the grip of SOM etc. Once you have understood it, then
    > you're free of the clutches of SOM and it all makes sense. To be specific,
    > it's a form of gnosticism. There is esoteric knowledge, associated with
    > particular (pure) experiences - called DQ here - and once you have gained
    > that knowledge, absorbed that insight, then you are on the inside. You
    share
    > in the mysteries.

    I say "aye" to that. In fact, I also alluded to the MoQ as a "cult
    movement" back in May of this year:

    > I'm sorry if it seems gratuitous, but everything I've seen relating to the
    > MoQ and its followers strongly suggests that it is a cult movement. It
    > leans heavily to the liberal left (with a Harley as its rebel trademark),
    > caters to the secularist elite, and is supported by a cadre of RMP-quoting
    > loyalists who see that their reclusive leader's pronouncements are the
    last
    > word on every subject.

    This brought a sharp reprimand from the MD elders (including my being
    corrected on the bike model), their indignity of course only adding
    credibility to my assertion. While I don't know the details of the hoax
    staged at the Liverpool convention, I think it is reasonable to assume that
    outsiders with minimal knowledge of Pirsig and his novels would be quick to
    draw the same conclusion.

    In many ways I see ZMM and LILA being used by the acolytes as the old and
    new testaments of a rote-learning process for the newer participants. This
    applies not only to the sacred terms and metaphors used by the Master to
    communicate his mystical doctrine, but to freshly contributed ideas and
    perspectives which are dogmatically force-fitted into the Quality heirarchy
    as if to qualify for the RMP impra mater.

    I can appreciate the fact that, as a "dedicated" website, this forum exists
    primarily to explore the philosophy laid out by MoQ's founder. At the same
    time, it would seem that such exploration is hampered when well-meaning
    criticisms and suggestions are discouraged or made to appear juvenile.
    Despite the fact that several of the charter members have pointed out
    discrepancies and inadequacies in this philosophy, not the least of which is
    the absence of a formal metaphysical thesis, offers to help correct these
    deficiencies are seldom if ever seriously considered.

    As a consequence, the MD has sadly become an endless repetition of circular
    debates over dialectical matters which one would expect to have been
    resolved years before. I find it ironic that a philosophy extolling the
    virtues of biological and social evolution towards "betterness" finds itself
    mired in its own static patterns, seemingly unable to evolve to a higher
    level. Certainly this is not due to any lack of philosophical knowledge or
    talent, which the MD displays in abundance; rather, I believe it is the
    result of an indoctrination peculiar to this movement which resists change,
    resents new insight, and (if the truth be known) languishes in its cult
    status.

    Essentially with you,
    Ham