Re: MD Katrina - Thousands Dead ?

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 21:16:56 BST

    Hi Sam,

    > I thought people might find it interesting. Particularly the "it's not
    > financial capital, it's social capital. the u.s. in this sense has zero
    > social capital" which I think links in closely with Pirsig's point (so long
    ago!!!) about a natural american resource that seems to have gone down the
    plughole.

    Yep, this reminds me of what Pirsig said in ZMM: Phædrus remembered a line from
    Thoreau: "You never gain something but that you lose something." And now he
    began to see for the first time the unbelievable magnitude of what man, when he
    gained power to understand and rule the world in terms of dialectic truths, had
    lost. He had built empires of scientific capability to manipulate the phenomena
    of nature into enormous manifestations of his own dreams of power and
    wealth...but for this he had exchanged an empire of understanding of equal
    magnitude: an understanding of what it is to be a part of the world, and not an
    enemy of it.

    Arlo