RE: MD Consciousness/MOQ, definition of

From: Laycock, Jos (OSPT) (Jos.Laycock@OFFSOL.GSI.GOV.UK)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 10:55:53 BST

    Morning Ham

    I am feeling a little mis-represented, my assertion is that consciousness
    arises as a product of neuronal complexity. I have not said that its nature
    can be empirically determined by looking at neurones, nor did I intend to.
    I find almost all of the rest of the below compatible with my own thoughts
    with the few exceptions:

    None of the biological level can be understood by "looking at the
    schematic", clearly the arrangement of inorganic SPOVs says nothing about
    the electrical impulses that flood through it and define it as alive. The
    television set analogy is right but in my view doesn't as an argument, make
    consciousness any different from action potentials.

    Re-stating my views from an earlier thread, I think that pain is the emotion
    which we experience that is generated by consciousness (as I describe it) in
    response to negative quality.
    Dissection will show you nociceptive afferent nerve impulses, why can't we
    accept that these communicate NDQ to consciousness which then generates
    pain. In fact I have always found the hot stove to be a bit shaky as in my
    experience when you touch something really hot, first it feels cold, then
    there is a time lag which you can definitely perceive, then spinal level
    reflexes withdraw the limb and just afterwards it hurts. I remain to be
    convinced that it really says much about consciousness or quality but at a
    pinch I would suggest that the time lag could relate to communication
    between the static levels and the sequence of perceived events happens in
    that order according to how many trans level communication steps there have
    been.

    The burn happens and biology responds to inorganic heat, biological
    communication happens with consciousness giving the first unmodified
    sensation, biology also communicates with biology and muscles contract.
    The burn also is an analogy for negative quality which for us to perceive
    must be converted into an idea, then a culturally acceptable event, then
    matched to a biological event and then, communicated to consciousness.
    Consciousness then communicates with cultural setting, and generates pain.

    In the same way that "you cant talk a crime to death", I don't think "you"
    can think a muscle into moving.

    Jos