RE: MD Essentialist and anti-essentialist

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 11:10:43 BST

    Scott,

    >[Scott said]>....So while Magliola does not use the word
    >>'universal', the function of that word is there in the phrase "connected
    >>experience" and "dependently arisen".
    >
    >Paul said: Then let's use those words instead.
    >
    >Scott:
    >I think it is advisable to keep in mind that those (Magliola's) words are
    >substitutes for 'universal'

    Paul: Can you show me where this is stated?

    >>Scott said:
    >...."Universal" and
    >>"particular" are just more words to be used to express a contradictory
    >>identity -- other equivalent words are "signified" and "signifier",
    >>"concept" and "speech act", "type" and "token", and so on. My point is
    >that
    >>we can't do without some such pair if we want to philosophically examine
    >>the
    >>nature of reality.
    >
    >Paul said: Again, I think dependently originated static patterns does the
    >trick
    >whenever you feel the need to bring in 'universal' and 'particular'.
    >
    >Scott:
    >But I don't see particulars in SPOV, just universals, so how does it do the
    >trick?

    Paul: Because it repudiates the universal/particular distinction whilst
    allowing us to talk about 'things'.

    >Paul said: That's why I put 'originating factor' in scare quotes, to do
    >away
    >with it once I'd used it to link to the Magliola quote. I think DQ is
    >privileged only to the extent that differance and sunyata are by Derrida
    >and
    >Nagarjuna respectively.
    >
    >Scott:
    >Ok. I can agree that a temporary privileging is useful for those who only
    >know of the conventional view. But it is harmful if used as a basis for
    >building a metaphysics.

    Paul: Possibly. But perhaps metaphysics inevitably operates purely as
    samvrti-satya. This provides a neat 'solution' to Pirsig's self-confessed
    contradiction:

    "Since a metaphysics is essentially a kind of definition and since Quality
    is essentially outside definition, this means that a "Metaphysics of
    Quality" is essentially a contradiction in terms, a logical absurdity."
    [LILA, p73]

    The MOQ is justified from the perspective of samvrti-satya whereas no
    metaphysics may be justified from the perspective of paramartha-satya.

    >Paul said: That's interesting, although there is still a distinction
    >between the
    >metaphysics and what the metaphysics is about in that it is, as you say,
    >"an
    >example" and not, of course, the whole thing; kind of like a fractal of the
    >ubiquitous process of reality.
    >
    >Scott:
    >I like that analogy.

    Paul: Thanks. I've enjoyed this discussion, and I am grateful for the
    Magliola reference.

    Regards

    Paul