Re: MD Duty to Oneself Only? Or Others?

From: Erin (macavity11@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 23:08:45 BST

    Arlo,

    ARLO: First, I don't think "Platt is brilliant in other matters and then becomes an
    idiot when he talks about politics".

    ERIN: I said "the list" when I wrote that, I didn't mean you specifically .... I was thinking the attitude in general of all that carousel stuff going backwards, smart conservative being an oxymoron, etc. and other comments where I think it is suggested.

    ARLO: Rather than tell me you don't like the way I talk to Platt
    (which I can see), tell me where you think I am wrong? Or where you think Platt
    is right? Not "in general", but on these specific issues we've been discussing.

    ERIN: I have been.. if you have a specific issue then ask a specific issue. How am I suppossed to respond specifically if you don't ask specifically? I told you I don't agree with with general comments about wealthy and poor and thought it would be more useful to stick with the actions that bother you (e.g. driving both those in need) or the lack of actions (e.g.. laziness).

    ARLO: Do you feel
    one can be wealthy and christian with no hypocritical conflict? Explain?

    ERIN: I already told you no I don't find them mutually exlusive categories. Explain what I think it is stupid to judge somebody by how much is in their bank account, what they are driving, etc. I have been clear about this position i thought.

    ARLO: Third, since you've asked this question, do you feel one has any duty to others,or is one's life soley duty to the self? I've given you my answer.

    ERIN: Arlo it is not soley to oneself but as Ant just ended his last post with this...."and that it’s much better just to take the Buddha’s (MOQ orientated) advice to “see for yourself”. I don't think there is conflict with trying to improve myself and trying to help the community improve and there is nothing wrong with seeing/thinking/doing for yourself.

    Ok to put it football terms.. you said you don't know where the 50 yard line is but you know where the end zones are at. Well let's put this way if it was a choice of EVERYBODY being a little richer or a little poorer I would pick richer which is why i brought up the issue of "glamourizing poverty".