Re: MD The intelligence fallacy (was Rhetoric)

From: platootje@netscape.net
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 12:20:38 BST

    Hello Ham (Bo mentioned),

    You wrote:
    Perhaps I should have asked, can there be Actuality (existence) without
    Potentiality (Essence)?

    Me:
    There can be no existence without Essence.

    You:
    My interpretation of the Cusan theory is that "Coincidence is actualized
    possibility", and that if actuality did not exist, then nothing could
    actually be. Cusa concluded that "things are; therefore actuality
    exists."
    In other words, Possibility (X) and Actuality (Y) are co-dependent in
    the
    non-contradictory absolute source (Essence). Since both contingencies
    (X +
    Y) are absolute in Essence (E), there can be no case in which E = (X -
    Y) or
    E = (Y - X). Thus, the very nature of Essence is the coincidence of
    Potentiality and Actuality. Coincidence is a constant.

    Me:
    But the question 'does actuality exists' is an existential question
    about existence. A question like 'how long does time last' or 'how big
    is space'. It's a snake eating its own tail.
    So for me the whole question is a false starting point.
    Essence is the whole of everything but un-valued. Existence is valueing
    and thus differentiating.

    Me earlier:
    > I don't distinguish between actuality and potential.
    > The actualization is the realization (awareness) of the potential.

    You:
    I think we must make this distinction if Actuality and Potentiality are
    the
    absolute contingency. We must account for the absence of awareness,
    such in
    the pre-biological cosmos, at which period there is no actuality and,
    hence,
    no contingency.

    Me:
    That's where the MoQ fits in from my PoV. Even without a single living
    creature, the process of valueing existed. Awareness may involve
    valueing on an intellectual level, but valueing as such, by Pirsig's
    words, takes place on all levels. Pre-intellecutal existence, so to say.

    You:
    You may feel that I'm arguing over straws here, but to be precise in
    defining the primary source we must be prepared to answer the question:
    What
    happens to Essence when it is not actualized? It seems to me that
    unless
    the awareness that we call "existence" is ALWAYS actualized, the
    coincidence
    definition of Essence falls apart. If our experienced universe is
    finite in
    time, the only solution I can propose is that there must be other
    experienced universes which overlap ours so that there is no gap in
    experience (actualized awareness).

    Me:
    Not only is our experienced univers finit in time, but time in itself
    is at best finit if existing as independed entity at all (more likely
    it's an property of existence). The potential is timeless and
    spaceless, it's only our realization of it that creates time and space.

    You:
    I regard "patterns" as an intellectual construct that is
    peculiar to the MoQ thesis. Since I don't recognize patterns, I
    translate
    your statement as encouraging a "higher", more developed sensibility to
    Value. If, by Buddhistic standards, Nirvana is understood to be the
    highest
    possible sensibility -- sensibility of ("oneness with") the value of
    Essence
    itself, then any lesser sensibility is of the SOM type. I remain
    somewhat
    skeptical of the possibility of this psychic state.

    Me:
    Regarding the SOM reference, I guess this is what Bo means when he
    states that the intellectual level is SOM. Any though or idea comes
     from a subject, regarding itself as such. The awareness is responsible
    for the subject/object division.
    Indeed the buddhistic enlightment experience will overcome this, and
    are you sceptic about that?
    Quatum physics is leaning very close towards a patterned description of
    the universe, likewise is eastern mysticism.
    There is no such thing as substance.

    You:
    For practical purposes, I define Value as the affinity for certain
    attributes of "beingness" that are presented to us in experience.
    Realization of Value is a psycho-emotional response of the subject to
    objective reality (existence). This is what I mean by Value being the
    "second-hand" or "once removed" experience of Essence. All value
    alludes to
    Essence -- is ultimately derived from Essence -- but, in common
    experience
    at least, Value is "relational" in that it has an objective referent.
    While
    Essence metaphysically is the ultimate Value, it can be only be realized
    incrementally in human awareness.
    But that suffices to make Value the essence of man's reality.

    Me:
    The hot-stove example is misleading, because it very much emphasizes
    that kind of valueing. Like/dislike type of valueing. My concept of
    valueing is more in the lines of X is NULL versus X = true or false.
    Once something has a value, it's known, it can be seperated from other
    things that have value.

    You:
    I don't think we're ready to confront the MoQers with a Primary
    Difference
    hypothesis until we can come to some agreement on the contiguity of
    existential awareness.

    Me:
    Well, then we still have some work to do ;-)

    You:
    But possibly you can persuade me. I've lost some of your original
    arguments
    of behalf of the theory of "opposition". Would you refresh my mind on
    that
    theory? It could be that Cusanus has led us up a blind ally.

    Me:
    Hopefully some of my remarks in this post have refreshed it. If not,
    any perticular question? I've found that I make myself the most clear
    when responding to question.

    You:
    Your ideas are much appreciated, Reinier.

    Me:
    Likewise Ham, likewise!

    Kind regards,
    Reinier.
    Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
    Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select
    delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new
    Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White
    Pages and more. See for yourself at
    http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/