Re: MD Terrorism

From: khaled Alkotob (khaledsa@juno.com)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 04:21:14 BST

    Arlo

    Just when I think about quitting the forum, you change my mind. Excellent
    response.

    The consumerism issue you bring up is rather a frightening one and is
    rather one of the fundamental problems this nation faces.
    The waste of resources is one, and the financial burden is another.

    You enter the grocery store, and there lies the Loaf of rainbow white
    bread. Yummy. Oh by the way, on your way out don't forget to pick that
    bottle of Metamucil laxative. See they take the goodness out of the
    wheat, and resell it to us in another package.
    Here where I live in Fresno, we have more places to-- cash checks or get
    an advance on your next paycheck-- than we have bank branches. Yes people
    do pay close to $25 to get $200. By the way, they are cashing those
    checks so they can go to the nearest "gaming center". And the vicious
    cycle continues.

    We grow cotton galore in this valley, yet we don't have a single cotton
    mill. Labor cost, is the excuse, yet teenagers are strutting around in
    $100 designer pair of jeans. Made overseas. I fail to see where the money
    is going. Yes if done locally labor would be more, but those pants would
    be $50 and the money would have helped the unemployment rate which can
    run as high as 14% around here.
    And speaking of the ultimate decadent consumerism. Spinning rims for your
    can. Prices can go as high as $16,000 a set, and that does not include a
    spare. The tires? They run $1,000 a piece and only get about 10,000
    miles. Talk about moral bankruptcy. You are what you drive, so you are in
    debt to your eyeballs, just to have a cool ride.

    Filling the void. Or should i say the abyss.

    Khaled

    Arlo Bensinger
    > The second assumption is that if the snowblower maker goes out of
    > business, because he sold 1/10th the units he would under rampant
    consumerism,
    > that the economy would collapse. That wealth, remember, would likely be

    > allocated into other market sectors, and create jobs elsewhere. But,
    this is an interesting point. If individuals SAVED that money, and