Re: MD Home

From: Matt poot (mattpoot@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 16:45:09 BST

    Hi there,

    I guess that means you don't subscribe to the binary logic of life or
    death. Which is too bad in a way because the MOQ says better to be live
    than die -- the driving motivation of moral evolution.

    Platt

    correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think it is such a clearcut subject as stated.  Many that come out of the "shallow" end of the gene pool are eliminated naturally, by illness, genetic mutation, "accidents", etc.

    If you think about the theory of natural selection, then it is not "better" to live than to not live all the time.  Any creatures which are not suited to living (unfit) will be more likely to die, because it is not beneficial that they're genes be passed onto a further generation.  Although most humans would want to continue living.... and we have since altered our medical sciences to eliminate much of this natural selection.

    In seemingly popular belief here in North America, it is always better to live than to die.  Euthanasia is something we would priveledge our pets with, but not ourselves because it is "better" to live.   I dont mean to apply this to every medical situation, but to things similar to those living in vegetable states, or maybe just above that.

    gotta run......time for me to stuff my face until I can eat no more.  thanks given!

    POOt

    MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org Mail Archives: Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/ Nov '02 Onward - http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html MD Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net To unsubscribe from moq_discuss follow the instructions at: http://www.moq.org/md/subscribe.html