RE: MD Pirsig the postmodernist?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 13:01:50 GMT

    Hi Kevin, Matt S., Matt:

    > Platt observes:
    > Right on. A wonderful "foundation" of knowledge--it agrees with
    > experience, is logically consistent and is wonderfully economical. Now
    > where have I seen those same epistemological standards in print? Oh yes,
    > now I remember. Chapter 8 of "Lila." :-)
    >
    > Kevin:
    > Are you agreeing that Pirsig is a postmodernist? :-)
    >
    > At this point, after so many runs around this familiar track, I feel
    > confident that you understand what many of us are saying about
    > postmodernism.
    >
    > Pomos *DON'T* think everything is equal or that we can't know Better
    > from Worse. In fact, we could say that *ALL* we ever *CAN* know is
    > Better from Worse because Truth (the ahistorical absolute kind) will
    > ultimately escape us. We can but choose to conintue on a course of
    > Betterness to make of things what we will without concerning ourselves with
    > finding the Terminus of that Quest. It's the Journey, not the destination.

    I'd like to see if the two Matts agree with your foundational principle that
    "all we can ever know is better from worse" and that it's ultimately true
    that "truth will ultimately escape us."

    Also I wonder if you all agree that Pirsig's epistemological standards
    make him a postmodernist. Seems to me that logical consistency is
    not one of postmodern's long suits. :-)

    Platt