Re: MD Partisan Politics, Labels and Distraction (was terrorism)

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 14:03:39 BST

    > [Platt]
    > Scientific methodology is hailed by Peirce as the one right way to think.
    > Pirsig says the methodology has a huge defect -- no provision for morals.
    >
    > [Arlo]
    > Peirce was, indeed, writing within a SOM paradigm. But Pirsig's solution
    > was not to abolish "scientific methodology", but to expand it to provide
    > for morality. This is why Intellect is the highest rung on Pirsig's static
    > MOQ ladder.

    I don't think it's correct to characterize the MOQ has an expanded version
    of SOM if that's what you mean. Rather, it's a completely new metaphysics.

    > If we abolish "scientific methodology" outright, what other means of fixing
    > our beliefs would you suggest?

    Well, we believe in the MOQ don't we?.

    > You've seemed to suggest in the past that
    > "until the MOQ is generally accepted" we cling to select pieces of the
    > Judeo-Christian code. Does this mean you prefer "authority" as the interim
    > basis for fixing of morals?

    I prefer the Judeo-Christian moral code to the humanist code of moral
    relativism which in the West at least seems to be the alternative.
    Sometime I hope you'll outline your moral code based on reason if it's
    other than the MOQ.

    > You seem to want critical thinking to be somehow ipso facto SOMist, so that
    > you can deny its relevance, but Pirsig engaged in a whole lot of critical
    > thinking in ZMM and Lila. And his "reason" was hardly SOMist. My
    > conclusion, it's not the "critical thinking", its the mindset of the person
    > doing it.

    Are you saying critical thinking is NOT SOMist? Perhaps you can explain
    how critical thinking differs from scientific methodology. As far as I
    know, critical thinking relies on reason, i.e., logic.

    Thanks
    Platt

    MD Queries -