Re: MD Chaos and its role in Evolution

From: mark maxwell (laughingpines@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 14:59:34 BST

    Hi Mark,

    ...maybe DQ in this sense is anything that's not
    "routine maintenance"

    Significantly, you're evolving towards something
    right?... the further an end point you want to get to,
    the more dynamic your solution is going to have to be.

    Mark:
    Bong! That's a shame because the prize fund has now
    reached $100,000.
    I was hoping you might have said, 'sq seems to be
    converging towards DQ' or something like that?
    I was thinking we have evolution on two scales, cosmic
    and in a secondary ontological sense.
    I am viewing cosmic evolution as a series of latches
    composed of many tiny secondary ontological events.
    If you think about it, this begins to look a bit
    fractal, and i know you have a penchant for fractals.
    (They can't touch you for it)

    Rebecca:
    Dynamic quality breaks down static patterns.
    It doesn't necessarily have to leave 'better' static
    patterns in its wake - but different patterns, a
    reorganization.

    Mark:
    I agree entirely and then some. Chaotic patterns don't
    appear to be better for example, yet they are the
    result of DQ.

    Rebecca:
    ((Aside: Really I never liked Pirsig's emphasis on
    dynamic over static quality, myself... I'm more of a
    'balance' girl, myself.))

    Mark:
    I struggle with this too.
    It seems to me that understanding, which is entirely
    sq, can converge toward DQ on a cosmic scale, and at
    the scale of motorcycle maintenance. We don't have to
    wait until the goal of evolution has been reached on
    the cosmic scale, we can jump straight there when we
    absorb ourselves in maintenance.
    We seem to pop in and out of DQ, and each pop moves
    closer to the sq cosmos converging with DQ. Maybe this
    merging is asymptotic (closely approaching but never
    meeting)
    Anyway, feedback seems to play a part, and i notice
    yogic practitioners use feedback to drop conditioning.
    So whether you're a yogi or working on a cycle, you're
    basically meditating?

    Rebecca:
    I think it would be really dynamic if you could just
    rearrange the whole bike into a machine that could
    teleport you instantly from one place to another. :)
    [ recognizing that this would totally eliminate the
    purpose of the bike for some... ]

    Mark:
    I notice at my local petrol station they are now
    giving away free personal matter transportation
    podules with every ten litres of unleaded. You can not
    only, 'be in the moment' but you can be 'in all
    everywhere'! ;-)