RE: MD Any help

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 23:22:04 BST

    > [Arlo]
    > Perhaps, if advertising does not influence people to value things they
    > would not otherwise value, Platt can explain why last year "more than five
    > hundred billion dollars was spent on advertising and marketing in the
    > United States­half the worldwide total" (source, The New Yorker). Or why
    > over the counter pill consumption increased from $10 billion dollars a year
    > in 1990 to over $20 billion in 2002, a year in which $2.5 billion dollars
    > was spent on advertising by pharmaceutical companies, which is up to $4.5
    > billion today.
    >
    > If advertising was simply getting message that your product is available
    > out to a population that then irrespective of advertising makes its own
    > value judgement, why do advertising campaigns nearly always mean success or
    > failure in the marketplace?

    Advertising informs the consumer of what's available. If you don't
    advertise how does the consumer know your product can add value to her
    life?

    > Everyone knows McDonald's exists, so why does
    > it spend a half a billion in year in advertising?

    There are always consumers who haven't tried McDonald's latest offerings.
    Also such advertising acts as a reminder of previous values enjoyed.

    > Why pay celebrities
    > millions of dollars for endorsements, if people are smart enough to not
    > care whether Bill Cosby or Joe Schmoo tells them about the new line of
    > Jell-o Snacks?

    Celebrities are attention getters. You have to get your advertising
    noticed for it to be effective.

    > Or why the amount spent yearly on "product placement" has
    > jumped to the billions?

    For all the reasons cited above.

    > Advertising is coersive influence that alters one's potential value
    > judgement.

    You're free to express your opinion, but I don't think you should judge the
    value of someone else's value judgments as they express them in a free
    market. It implies you'd like to interfere.

    >There is simply no other explanation. Eliminate advertising, and
    > you'd get a clearer picture of which products would succeed or fail in the
    > marketplace by virtue of their "Quality".

    The explanation I've given above is the other explanation that for some
    reason you wish to deny. Maybe it's because you don't like a free market.
    You claim it's not your intention to interfere, but most everything you
    say points in that direction.

    Platt

    MD Queries -