MD Re: Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: Michael Hamilton (thethemichael@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 15:17:58 GMT

    Hang on, that was just the SOL, wasn't it?

    Pretty much. But I'm not just trying to say all the things Bo's said a
    thousand times. I'm asking a very personal question to everyone who
    rejects SOL. Have you seriously shed you subjectivity, in your
    day-to-day life? Or do you still experience your thinking as the
    product of an islanded subject (albeit an islanded subject with a
    million and one outside influences)? 'Cos I do.

    Thanks to the likes of Pirsig, we can dream up metaphysics in which
    the subject/object divide is not fundamental. We can spend as long as
    we like thinking about a time and a place in which the subject/object
    divide never existed. But we're still thinking as subjects, and any
    attempt to wipe subjectivity from one's life entirely would be a
    regression, not a progression. I'm all in favour of dissolving one's
    subjectivity every so often, in fact I think it should be done
    regularly, in some way or another. But to dissolve subjectivity
    forever would be to eradicate one of DQ's most wonderful creations, I
    think.

    Regards,
    Mike