Re: MD Rhetoric

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 20:28:09 GMT

    Mike,

    Mike said:
    For the love of God, don't stop now! I thought you'd finally boiled it down
    to the crux of your disagreement. Matt thinks that all experience can be
    described in any terms, including scientific/physical terms. DMB disagrees
    in one particular case, because he thinks that everything emanates from
    pre-intellectual experience, so that to describe pre-intellectual experience
    in terms of anything else is a "category mistake", as I think Scott called
    it.

    Matt:
    Yeah, well, break offs will happen. We've been at this particular
    conversation for a long time and it finally spun itself into a complete,
    full circle. I didn't even notice entirely by how much until a week or so
    ago. I think we may have finally found the crux of the issue between us,
    but there are a couple reasons why the conversation should probably stop for
    now. For one, I'm tired of writing it (and I imagine the same goes for
    DMB). For two, since it has gone full circle, I don't have anything really
    new to say. We've both been saying the same thing in slightly different
    ways from the beginning and it did help to finally get in isolation some
    particular thing that doesn't seem to be a verbal issue. Our disagreement
    over pre-intellectual experience seems a crux exactly because out of it can
    be spun every other surface disagreement. But it helps to have a break to
    regroup one's thoughts and figure out a good way forward. For three, I'm
    not sure there's really any way to argue about the difference we've found.
    It seems to me to be an enabling assumption, one that allows us to build up
    from there, and there isn't much we could argue about without begging the
    crucial question. (I've written about this type of thing many times over
    the years, something I think is typical of philosophical disagreements.
    E.g., the "Confessions" post from July 2002 and the "Begging the Question"
    posts from Oct 2003.)

    For instance, I think characterizing DMB's charge against me as a "category
    mistake" is exactly right. The problem I've been trying to raise about this
    is that different vocabularies use different categories. A "category
    mistake" is internal to a vocabulary. My claim is that a physicist's or
    physiologist's vocabulary is different then the one the mystic uses.
    Neither the physiologist who describes mystical experiences as nerve
    quiverings nor the mystic who describes mystical experiences as becoming One
    with Reality can claim the other is making a category mistake because each
    is using a different set of categories. The only way of pressing that
    claim, of a physiologist describing Oneness as neuron firings as making a
    category mistake, is to claim that the vocabulary you are using is a
    vocabulary that everyone _has_ to use (in other words, already uses whether
    they know it or not).

    This, in fact, is the claim that reductive materialists have claimed against
    mystics when they accuse the philosophical mystic of making a category
    mistake. I see DMB as turning it around. I, on the other hand, think both
    sides should just drop the claim. But the arguments either DMB or I would
    use against the other would be question-begging because we have too little
    in common in this area. Take, for instance, how circular our conversation
    became. We just go around and around. Not only that, but it ended where we
    started. The last thing I said to DMB was:

    "I think the most neutral terms of describing the disagreement we've found
    might be something like this: we disagree on the nature of SOM, the impetus
    that prompts Pirsig into formulating some alternative to it. The shape and
    scope of this enemy is going to shape _our_ response to it, determine what
    we take out of Pirsig, which is why you think one part of Pirsig fundamental
    and I a different part. If there is a further direction to this
    conversation, it'll have to be about what _we_ consider SOM to be (not
    _just_ what Pirsig considers it, though obviously it'll travel through there
    considerably), what we consider the impetus to philosophize to be, what
    problems we consider ourselves to be solving."

    I was only conscious of the fact that this is where we started after I wrote
    that. In my first post, the only substanative thing I said was:

    "While I still don't think 'blind spot' is a good term for describing the
    differences between vocabularies, one way of getting at our differences is
    through the Sophists, since we both want to appropriate them. If I'm
    reading you right, you think of the Sophists as the last generation of
    philosophical mystics before Plato (though more specifically Aristotle)
    turned subsequent philosophy away from mysticism by focusing our attention
    on dialectic-turn-logic-turn-science. My preferred description of the
    Sophists is as the first generation of metaphysical skeptics, the first
    generation of practical philosophers who attempted to turn us away from the
    Parmenidean search for the Absolute Reality behind the Shifting Appearances
    to focus on our day-to-day problems of living life excellently---before
    Plato (though not specifically Aristotle) turned subsequent philosophy away
    from the practice of life by focusing our attention on
    dialectic-turn-logic-turn-theory."

    It turns out, apparently, that I _was_ reading DMB right then, because the
    difference between thinking the important movement of philosophy since the
    Sophists is "dialectic-turn-logic-turn-science" as opposed to
    "dialectic-turn-logic-turn-theory" accounts for the differences we're
    seeing. As far as I can see, DMB thinks the enemy is reductive materialists
    and I think the enemy is simply reductionists. DMB has pressed the "blind
    spot" claim on me (as the surrogate for Western philosophy as a whole), but
    the reason I said then that I don't think it helps is the same reason I
    don't think pressing "category mistake" helps--it begs the question. I can
    claim DMB has a blindspot or is making a category mistake just as easily as
    he can. The reason is the vocabularies we are using are too different. The
    problem with the "blind spot" epithet is that we _all_ have blindspots.
    Having a blind spot is a function of using a vocabulary. If you're looking
    forward, you're not looking backward. When you go to look behind you,
    you're now not looking in front of you. A vocabulary is able to function
    exactly because it means _this_ and not _that_; it constrains what you
    "see."

    But that's from my perspective. From DMB's perspective, there is a way to
    eliminate blind spots--Dynamic Quality. That's the crux--the
    pre-intellectual experience. Our arguments from those positions will keep
    going around and around and I don't want to do that right now. We probably
    will again (possibly after I write up my recent thoughts into a new essay),
    but for right now I think I've milked about all the new ways of putting my
    point that I can from this conversation.

    Matt