Re: MD Looking for the Primary Difference

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 18:28:01 GMT

    Case,

    Case said:
    I went to Books-a-Million to pick up some Barfield and found him out of
    print. They suggested a visit to Half.com. I come home for a bit of internet
    research and find Ham's is on to something. The dude espoused Antroposophy
    and followed Stiener who abandoned the Theosphists to commune directly with
    the Akashic records. Is Barfield suggesting that consciousness played leap
    frog in Sheldrake's morphogenic field?

    Scott:
    Though Barfield was an anthroposophist, you won't find any of his
    argumentation in "Saving the Appearances" or most of his other books based
    on revelations of Steiner. He does refer to one book of Steiner's, "The
    Philosophy of Freedom", which is straight philosophy, written before he
    (Steiner) got involved with Theosophy. That is, the argumentation is neither
    based on, nor requires one to espouse, anthroposophy. Now it's likely that
    your response to this is that you don't have time to investigate all these
    approaches that contain fundamental divergence from your materialist
    beliefs, but as I see it, that's what I'm here for: to point out that
    Barfield, as opposed to the many others that I would agree are crackpots,
    should be taken seriously. I might also mention that my own rejection of
    materialism came about through reasoning about consciousness before I read
    Barfield (or Steiner), in particular from ruminations on whether a computer
    could be conscious (I was a grad student in Computer Science at the time). I
    found in Barfield confirmation of my reasoning (some of which is given
    below), and much more.

    Case said:
    Beyond the attack ad hominem, this idea that consciousness evolves in fits
    and starts is fundamentally flawed. It is far more likely that changes in
    the ways cultures see the world are ratcheted forward by technology rather
    than evolution. Inventions like astrology, the plowshare, the drainage
    canal, animal husbandry or the development of a leisure class more than
    account for the paradigm shifts we observe in history and as far as we can
    tell in prehistory.

    Scott:
    Do they account for the evidence that the data has changed, about which
    understandings of the world are formed?

    Case said:
    I believe it has been readily demonstrated that in addition to being
    linguistic creatures human beings think, learn and respond in many ways that
    are purely nonverbal, from jumping at the sound of thunder to orgasm. We
    "just get feelings about things."

    Furthermore to identify the totality of experience with language seems a bit
    limiting especially if this is based on semiotics which appears to be a
    theory designed to explain language. The Saussurean model doesn't even need
    to bother with referents since languages can be developed to talk about
    nothing at all.

    However, language is not even the only way we communicate.
    There is a whole set of unconscious nonverbal behaviors that take place
    between mothers and their infants. Both seem to be genetically programmed as
    partners in a dance.
    Humans are as easily conditioned as dogs in a Pavlovian sense.
    In normal face to face conversations much, if not most, of the actual
    information conveyed is not verbal.

    Scott:
    I again made the mistake of using the word 'language', rather than
    'semiosis', since obviously there is more to reality than English, French,
    Chinese, and so on. What I am saying is that every thing/event is a sign.
    It exists *because* it is a sign. Here I am working from the semiotics of
    Peirce (together with an important observation of Barfield's -- see below),
    rather than Saussure. Put in MOQ-speak, it is that a static pattern of value
    is a pattern because it repeats. An event in a pattern is an event only
    because it takes part in a pattern. Hence we jump at the sound of thunder,
    because there is a biological SPOV that the sound takes part in. That sound
    acts in the same way that a word acts in a sentence. It is a sign. It
    signifies the concept: be alert when hearing a loud noise because there
    might be danger, though of course the body does not need this English
    translation.

    Now on to the (in your view) weird stuff. In another post you explain the
    development of intelligence as the expanding of the scope of temporal
    buffers. This makes a lot of sense, but leaves out one thing: in a strictly
    spatio-temporal world, how can there be a temporal buffer? To hear a single
    note in a melody requires that several hundred alternations in air pressure
    be smoothed out into a tone. How does this smoothing out happen?

    Barfield starts "Saving the Appearances" with the observation that we all
    know that that which we experience (the contents of sense perception:
    colors, shapes, etc.) are not at all like the entities that physics tells us
    exist in the absence of perception, that is, quantum wave/particles. One can
    also observe that what makes quantum physics weird is not that it is
    paradoxical (there are no paradoxes in the mathematics that is used to
    formulate it) but that what is formulated cannot be pictured. Now what is
    picturable is the spatio-temporal. Quantum physics tells us of entities that
    cannot be fit into a strictly spatio-temporal structure. From this we should
    conclude that spatio-temporal structure is a product of perception, while
    what feeds into perception is not spatio-temporal. In short, the familiar
    macroscopic world's structure is the product of perception, and exists only
    when perceived. We know this, remarks Barfield, but then we immediately
    forget it when we ask "where does consciousness come from". We forget it
    when we assume that consciousness is a byproduct of the brain's
    spatio-temporal activity. In doing that, we are attempting to explain
    consciousness with the products of consciousness (which Steiner refers to as
    being like Baron Munchhausen saying that he lifted himself off the ground by
    pulling on his hair).

    What this implies is that the contents of sense perception are signs of the
    non-spatio-temporal reality we know (partially) as the quantum world, just
    as the physical (spatio-temporal) sounds and figures we call speech and
    writing are signs of concepts, which are also non-spatio-temporal -- which
    are, I would say, the temporal buffers you refer to. The amoeba reacts to
    vinegar, not because there is a mechanical series of chemical reactions, but
    because there is a non-spatio-temporal "amoebic intellect/consciousness",
    which we call instinct, and which includes the habit (the temporal buffer,
    the concept, the SPOV) of moving away in this situation. (Note: this last
    sentence is speculative -- it is a possible redescription, made possible
    once one has overcome the Munchhausen fallacy.)

    Anyway, that's the basis of what you call weirdness, and I would appreciate
    if these arguments were addressed rather than simply dismissed as 'weird'
    and 'nutty'. And in this vein I would like to add one thing. In another post
    there was this exchange.

    Mike]
    The second, closely related, point of disagreement lies in your (Scott's)
    claim that "to say of some process that it is intelligent is meaningless
    unless there is value involved, and to say there is value involved is
    meaningless unless there is awareness involved, and a process that involves
    choosing among possibilities based on estimating consequences."
    [Case]
    There is a house of cards waiting for a gentle breeze.

    Scott:
    Could you waft that breeze my way so I can see what is so fragile about my
    house of cards?

    - Scott