RE: MD A Question of Balance / Rules of the Game

From: Case (Case@iSpots.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 04:57:36 GMT

    Case said in a further post:
    Consider for a moment a merely warm stove. It may not be so hot as to burn
    you. It may be the only place in the room to sit.

    Rebecca:
    Case has a good point here. I think I used this example once before: what
    if the reason you hopped up onto the stove was because the floor was covered
    with poisonous snakes and the stove is the only place to get away from them.
    Then the hot stove might be a higher quality perch than not being on the hot
    stove. It all relates to your other options - that's sort of what I'm
    getting at. You can't assign something a value unless you look at it in
    terms of something else.

    [Case]
    Your butt could endure more degrees of temperature to avoid a single cobra
    as opposed to a thousand garter snakes. Your butt, the stove, the snakes are
    all static patterns dynamically in relation to each other across multiple
    dimensions: time space, temperature, venomousness, even personality since if
    you fear snakes, one cobra maybe less scary that the shear mass of garters.
    As Pirsig says our individual analogs or personal history affect our
    perception of quality.

    MD Queries -