Re: MD Looking for the Primary Difference

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 14:25:00 GMT

    My only contribution to this thread was to slap Ham down for being
    dismissive and ignorant of Cybernetics, but I see "what Ian thinks"
    being quoted in several places.

    (1) I don't see language as resticted to humans, but I do see it as
    developing with communication and intelligence / intellect. (And here
    I'm talking symbolic language, not just communication per se, ie where
    the thing communicated, or held in mind, represents more than itself)

    I can't for the life of me remember the point of this thread, but I
    think the key difference with Scott is the idea of semantics without
    an interpretant. I have trouble with that, but I don't say the
    interpretant has to be human.

    Carry on chaps.

    As for Barfield being weird. What's wrong with weird ?

    Ian