RE: MD A Question of Balance / Rules of the Game

From: Case (Case@iSpots.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 03:36:29 GMT

    [Case]
    Your butt could endure more degrees of temperature to avoid a single cobra
    as opposed to a thousand garter snakes. ... As Pirsig says our individual
    analogs or personal history affect our perception of quality.

    [Arlo]
    And "analogs" ARE semitoic mediations, Case. That's the point I was trying
    to make in the other thread. For "one experience" to be compared to "another
    experience", at least one of the situations has to be semiotically encoded,
    or else there would be no way to "act on" that situation once you are
    outside it.

    Thus, if the value judgement "the stove is hot but better than the snakes on
    the floor" occurs, it is because the "snake experience" as "really low
    Quality" has been semiotically encoded, and thus can be accessed for
    comparison from the perspective one has when sitting on the stove.

    Some argue, that BOTH situations have to be encoded for relationist
    valuation to occur, because such valuation mandates symbolically
    representing such experience. I tend to lean towards "at least one
    situation", without committing to "both", but the point is that semiosis
    undergirds the relational valuation process. It has to, or else how would
    one access the "low Quality analogs" of past experience? Pre-intellectual
    experience is "atemporal", that is, it is "in the moment".

    [Case]
    I used the term "analog" because it is the term Pirsig uses in describing an
    early version of quality he composed for the faculty at Bozeman. He said
    that it was written to appeal to faculty members who were partial to
    stimulus-response theory. There are a variety of theories from
    associationists, connectionists, cognitivists and radical behaviorists that
    would claim to account for all this.
    Does semiotics offer testable predictions?
    So where is this encoding supposed to take place?
    What benefit does semiotics offer over more traditional theories?

    MD Queries -