Re: MD Re: Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: Arlo Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 16:34:58 GMT

    [Platt wrote]
    After all, we know from Pirsig that intellectual level values are all
    essentially individual vs. group values -- the rights of free speech,
    religion, travel, trial by jury, etc.

    [Arlo]
    Pirsig said, "Freedom of speech; freedom of assembly, of travel; trial by
    jury; habeas corpus; government by consent-these "human rights" are all
    intellect-vs.-society issues." But these are only one set of "intellectual
    level values". Others include, the law of gravity, calculus, Quantum
    Physics, semiotics, etc. Hardly "individual vs group" values. Indeed, they
    are the collective product of group activity, essentially socially
    constructed ideas. Hardly "individual values".

    [Platt]
    We also know that intellect (manipulating meaningful symbols) is a uniquely
    individual process that arises independently mind by mind.

    [Arlo]
    Shameful. Like telling everyone the world is flat and resting upon a giant
    tortoise.

    Arlo