Re: MD Quality, DQ and SQ

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 15:04:43 GMT

    Scott, Paul, Case, DMB, Ant, ...

    I really wish I had time to cover the background reading (Magliola
    etc), but I'm still fascinated by these threads.

    Scott said to Case (I think)
    "I see the way the MOQ treats DQ and SQ as overly dualistic"
    Somewhere else Scott used phrases like
    "Nest of dualities"
    "LCI involves irony and it's not actually possible to bottom out the LCI"
    "The problem is a Relativist / Absolutist dichotomy"

    A serious observation, I say, any attempt to "treat" anything leads to
    at least one duality - thing and not-thing - and any more analysis
    leads to more. These are all matters of pragmatic choice - ontology.
    As DMB reminds us Pirsig's static / dynamic division of the continuum
    is one suchh choice - MORE fundamental than say S/O divide, but not
    "absolute".

    I remember a debate before about a theory without axioms. For a theory
    like MoQ the idea that everything is "relational" (rather than
    relative) is axiom-like, but not absolute. Quality may be our
    undivided continuum, but it must forever be undefined and experienced
    undivided, unless we choose to divide it further.

    For a pragmatist like me (and better read ones like Ant, Paul, DMB,
    etc) this doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem seems really to be
    the idea of striving to find the absolute in a metaphysics. Doomed to
    stumble through a nest of dichotomies, dualities and recursions, no ?
    (But surely Scot't's LCI experience says we should expect that to be
    true of any metaphysics.)

    Ian