Re: MD 4th level - The more autonomous level.

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 05:07:16 GMT

    [Platt]
    I can't prove a negative. But, what do you suppose is happening elsewhere
    that is different than what happened here? I've always been told the laws
    of physics are universal.

    [Arlo]
    You made a categorical claim that inorganic "innovation" is no longer occruing.
    I simply pointed out that this is likely false. As to whether evolution is
    occuring on a planet billions of lightyears to here in parallel to our own, I
    would consider to be possible, but improbable. On the lower levels, evolution
    may indeed show more parallel, but on the upper levels, I'd say that the
    changes are likely enormous. But, its all supposition.

    [Arlo previously]
    Bad, bad analogy, Platt. The train can function without cars.

    [Platt]
    It can? A train consisting of just an engine? I don't think so.

    [Arlo]
    You're losing me. Why couldn't a train run with just the engine?

    [Platt]
    So a train responds to DQ? That's a new one on me. I suppose your lawn
    mower does, too.

    [Arlo]
    Stay focused, Platt. It was an analogy, speaking of "trains" in the abstract.

    [Platt]
    Danielle Steele makes no claim to authoring a philosophy. What Wikipedia
    says about Rand's acceptance by left-wing university philosophy
    departments could as well be said about Pirsig. So, are we to conclude
    that Pirsig's work "just ain't no good?"

    [Arlo]
    To be honest, if in 50 years it is as ignored as Rand, then, yes, Platt, I'd say
    the MOQ failed to develop anything worthwhile. Although I know there is a need
    there to "blame" some vast "liberal conspiracy" for why your (and Rand's) ideas
    are ignored at the Academy, but many ideas fail in the Academy, and your
    "left-right" dichotomy is not the scale. James and Peirce are taught everywhere
    and held in high esteem, are they part of "liberalism"? We read Kant, and Plato
    and Sarte and Wittgenstein. Not to mention Saussere, Searle, Nietzsche and
    Aquinas. I've had philosophy courses where we read Jefferson, Locke and Mill.
    All these all part of the "vast liberal conspiracy in the curriculum"? No. Just
    people with much better ideas, ideas worth reading and voices worth
    appropriating.

    [Arlo previously]
    (Your body) is really the collective activity of millions of cells, giving rise
    to something greater than themselves. Do you deny this?

    [Platt]
    Magically "giving rise to?" Yes, I deny this. Just as I deny that
    sufficient complexity gives rise to consciousness.

    [Arlo]
    Nice addition, "magically", as if I said that. You believe, then, that "Platt"
    existed billions of years ago, that human bodies existed before cells
    collectively formed them? What about your "consciousness", Platt? Where did
    that come from? Was it there "since the beginning, waiting to flower"? How,
    praytell, in Plattland, does the human body emerge from collective cell
    activity? Or, if it doesn't emerge from this, where does it come from?

    [Arlo previously]
    Pirsig did. He writes, "Later he saw there was: this Giant. People look
    upon the social patterns of the Giant in the same way cows and horses look
    upon a farmer; different from themselves, incomprehensible, but benevolent
    and appealing. Yet the social pattern of the city devours their lives for
    its own purposes just as surely as farmers devour the flesh of farm animals. A
    higher organism is feeding upon a lower one and accomplishing
    more by doing so than the lower organism can accomplish alone."

    [Platt]
    Pirsig "sees" a metaphor, an intellectual pattern, which he, not a
    commune, created.

    [Arlo]
    Again, use "commune" all you like. Its a valient rhetorical slant, but all it
    does is show that you don't understand Pirsig. Pirsig is very clear in this
    quote, social level patterns are a higher level organism than biological level
    organisms (people) on whose collective activity they emerge, but are higher,
    and use biological beings to further their own goals. The intellectual level
    emerges from the social level in the same way.

    And however much you find it necessary to cast me in abject opposition to your
    grand ol' individualism by brandishing me a collectivist with no regard for the
    individual, I'll add again, that yes, Pirsig did create this metaphor, but only
    through the collective consciousness, through the language and historical
    dialogue that he appropriate, through the many conversations he had with
    friends, peers, historical personages, students and riding companions. Pirsig,
    again, could be the "keystone species" of what we consider to be "that idea",
    but it was formed, developed, nurtured and constructed socially.

    How do you know, for example, that, say, someone he met at a bar one night
    didn't suggest a somewhat similar metaphor. He thought about it, tightened it
    up, and bounced it off his wife, who suggested something different. One night,
    over dinner with friends, the four of them sat around and talked about this
    idea for this metaphor, each contributing ideas until something stronger
    emerged. During a proofread, an editor suggested using "Giant" instead of
    "Collosus" (imagining that that was the word used it the draft). Pirsig likes
    it, and okays it for the final version. Doesn't that sound even remotely to you
    like the way the real world is? Pirsig, keystone species, but idea socially
    constructed.

    Even if you hold the mythical idea that Pirsig's thought magically appeared in
    his brain without any social dialogue in the present, the voices in his head
    are a social dialogue that is the historical dialectic, the "collective
    consciousness of all communicating mankind". To be sure, this dialogue contains
    his "unique propriatary experience", given voice through the saliences and
    structures of the collective consciousness. And that is the "majesty" that is
    the "individual-collective" on the social level, the force that gives rise to
    emergence.

    [Arlo previously]
    You prefer the notion that "Physics" was out there in
    space, billions of years ago, before time, before mass, just waiting for
    things to "flower" so that it could "apply to something"? Thankfully,
    Pirsig dismissed such foolishness early in his first book.

    [Platt]
    Oh, did he now? Show us. Above you refer to physics and other intellectual
    patterns as "organisms." Strange, very strange.

    [Arlo]
    ZMM, early on. Don't make me copy it here, the post is too long to begin with.
    You'll find it.

    As for my use of "organism" to be strange. Well, Pirsig calles social patterns
    "organisms", saying, "Yet the social pattern of the city devours their lives
    for its own purposes just as surely as farmers devour the flesh of farm
    animals. A higher organism is feeding upon a lower one and accomplishing more
    by doing so than the lower organism can accomplish alone." And also, "When
    societies and cultures and cities are seen not as inventions of "man" but as
    higher organisms than biological man, the phenomena of war and genocide and all
    the other forms of human exploitation become more intelligible... But the
    superorganism, the Giant, who is a pattern of values superimposed on top of
    biological human bodies, doesn't mind losing a few bodies to protect his
    greater interests."

    Although Pirsig did not use this term to describe intellectual patterns, I don't
    think its a stretch. He says, " In this manner biological man is exploited and
    devoured by social patterns that are essentially hostile to his biological
    values. This is also true of intellect and society. Intellect has its own
    patterns and goals that are as independent of society as society is independent
    of biology."

    In other words, the relationship between intellect and society is analogous to
    the one between society and biology. If social level patterns can be seen as
    "organisms" that emerge from collective biological activity (and I agree with
    Pirsig that they can), then I hold that intellectual patterns can also be seen
    as "organisms" that emerge from collective social activity.

    Perhps you can show me where Pirsig disputes this?

    Arlo

    PS: "On Top of Old Smokey"?! Jeez, man, well, at least you didn't say "Oh,
    Suzanna"!