Re: [MD] Societies & Collectives

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 16:48:43 GMT

    Arlo:

    Thanks for the explanation of how you see the difference between
    collective consciousness and society. Frankly, I can't tell the difference
    as everything you attribute to the collective consciousness (shared
    historical, symbolically represented experiences within a culture) is
    also attributable to society. Nor do I imply in using the word society (or
    commune) a particular group of people existing at a particular time and
    place, any more than I imply that social patterns are restricted to one
    country or another. Anyway, just as intellectual patterns are at a higher
    moral level than social patterns.I see individuals at a higher moral level
    than societies (or systems) and hold them, rather than society,
    responsible for their moral behavior. That alone in my mind is enough to
    place individuals separate and above the social milieu they inhabit.
    Otherwise, the words like "criminal," "insane," and "role model" have no
    meaning.

    If metaphors must be used to describe our place in the cosmos, the one I
    prefer is from Aziz Nasafi:

    "On the death of any living creature the spirit returns to the spiritual
    world, the body to the bodily world. In this, however, only the body is
    subject to change. The spiritual world is one single spirit who stands
    like unto light behind the bodily world and who, when any single creature
    comes into being, shines through it as through a window. According to the
    kind and size of the window, less or more light enters the world. The
    light itself, however, remains unchanged."

    Pirsig's light shines brightly indeed.

    Platt

    [Platt]

    moq_discuss mailing list