MD List V

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 04:57:00 GMT

    DMB asked, "Why is Pirsig's non-technical use of the word "metaphysics" not
    legitimate?"

    Matt:
    Never said it wasn't. I've discussed this at length with Wim, and my basic
    answer is that, if we keep metaphysics as wide and ubiquitous as we'd need
    it to be to accomadate irony and an undefined Quality, then it ceases to be
    useful. I find it more useful, particularly when talking about Rorty and
    pragmatism, to make a distinction between "philosophy," which I define in a
    way that looks exactly like what you guys want metaphysics to mean, and
    "metaphysics," which I reserve for a particular way of doing philosophy. I
    never said that a ubiquitous use of metaphysics was not legitimate. I just
    don't agree to it. However, I also think that Pirsig shows signs of using
    "metaphysics" in the way Rorty describes. As such, I think he should just
    purge himself of the whole thing and get on with the good stuff that
    doesn't look like metaphysics (as Rorty defines it).

    Matt